Optimal Enforcement on a Pure Seller's Market of Illicit Drugs
An optimal control problem for the dynamic enforcement (crackdown) of dealers on a pure seller's market for illicit drugs is explored. Theorems on existence and uniqueness of the optimal synthesis are proved. Using a technique of resolution of singularities for degenerate differential equations, we design analytically an optimal enforcement policy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Caulkins, J. P., Local Drugs Market's Response to Focused Police Enforcement, Operations Research, Vol. 41, pp. 848-863, 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.Baveja, A., Batta, R., Caulkins, J. P., and Karwan, M. H., Modeling the Response of Illicit Drug Market to Local Enforcement, Socio-Economic Planning Science, Vol. 27, pp. 73-89, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.Kort, P., Feichtinger, G., Hartl, R. F., and Haunschmied, J. L., Optimal Enforcement Policies (Crackdowns) on a Drug Market, Optimal Control Applications and Methods, Vol. 19, pp. 169-184, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Ioffe, A. D., and Tikhomirov, V. M., Theory of Extremal Problems, Nauka, Moscow, Russia, 1974 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 5.Dunford, N., and Schwarz, J. T., Linear Operators, Part 1: General Theory, Interscience Publishers (Wiley), New York, NY, 1958.Google Scholar
- 6.Pontryagin, L. S., Boltyanskii, V. G., gamkrelidze, R. G., and Mishchenko, E. F., Mathematical Theory of Optimal Processes, Macmillan, New York, NY, 1964.Google Scholar
- 7.Hartman, P., Ordinary Differential Equations, J. Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, 1964.Google Scholar
- 8.Dechert, W. D., and Nishimura, K., A Complete Characterization of Optimal Growth Paths in an Aggregated Model with a Nonconcave Production Function, Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 31, pp. 332-354, 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.Feichtinger, G., GRIENAUER, W., and Tragler, G., Optimal Dynamic Law Enforcement, Forschungsbericht 197, Institute of Econometrics, OR, and Systems Theory, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria, 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.Wirl, F., and Feichtinger, G., Conditions for and Existence of Unstable Equilibria in Concave Intertemporal Optimizations, Working Paper, Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany, 1998.Google Scholar