A Cautionary Note on Likelihood Ratio Tests in Mixture Models
- 173 Downloads
We show that iterative methods for maximizing the likelihood in a mixture of exponentials model depend strongly on their particular implementation. Different starting strategies and stopping rules yield completely different estimators of the parameters. This is demonstrated for the likelihood ratio test of homogeneity against two-component exponential mixtures, when the test statistic is calculated by the EM algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Böhning, D. and Schlattmann, P. (1992). Computer-Assisted Analysis of Mixtures (C.A.M.AN): Statistical algorithms, Biometrics, 48, 283–303.Google Scholar
- Böhning, D. and Schlattmann, P. (1997). Personal communication.Google Scholar
- Böhning, D., Dietz, E., Schaub, R., Schlattmann, P. and Lindsay, B. G. (1994). The distribution of the likelihood ratio for mixtures of densities from the one-parameter exponential family, Ann. Inst. Statist. Math., 46, 373–388.Google Scholar
- Dempster, A. P., Laird, N. M. and Rubin, D. B. (1997). Maximum likelihood estimation from incomplete data via the EM algorithm (with discussion), J. Roy. Statist. Soc. B, 39, 1–38.Google Scholar
- Everitt, B. S. and Hand, D. J. (1981). Finite Mixture Distributions, Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- Lindsay, B. G. (1995). Mixture Models: Theory, Geometry and Applications, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, Hayward, California.Google Scholar
- Lindstrom, M. J. and Bates, D. M., (1988). Newton-Raphson and EM algorithms for linear mixed-effects models for repeated-measures data, J. Amer. Statist. Assoc., 83, 1014–1022.Google Scholar
- McLachlan, G. J. and Basford, K. E., (1988). Mixture Models: Inference and Applications to Clustering, Marcel Dekker, New York.Google Scholar
- McLachlan, G. J. and Krishnan, T. (1997). The EM Algorithm and Extensions, Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Seidel, W., Mosler, K., Alker, M. and Ruck. A. (1997). Size and power of likelihood ratio tests in exponential mixture models based on different implementations of the EM algorithm, Discussion Papers in Statistics and Quantitative Economics, 79, Universität der Bundeswehr Hamburg.Google Scholar
- Titterington, D. M., Smith, A. F. M. and Makov, U. E. (1985). Statistical Analysis of Finite Mixture Distributions, Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar