Radical Constructivism. Ernst von Glasersfeld.
Radical Constructivism is currently a very influencial view in mathematics education. This paper examines its philosophical roots through a review of the book Radical Constructivism by Ernst von Glasersfeld. It begins by describing the structure of the book, and then considers a number of philosophical issues raised by the book. The paper concludes with some reflections on the relationship between philosophy and mathematics education which the book provoked.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berger, P., and Luckmann, T.: 1966, The Social Construction of Reality, Penguin, London.Google Scholar
- Davis, R., Maher, C., and Noddings, N. (eds.): 1990, ‘Constructivist Views on Teaching and Learning Mathematics’, Journal for Research in Mathematics Education Monograph 4.Google Scholar
- diSessa, A. A.: 1994, ‘Comments on Ed Dubinsky's Chapter ’, in A. H. Schoenfeld, Mathematical Thinking and Problem Solving, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillside, New York.Google Scholar
- Ernest, P. (ed.): 1994, Constructing Mathematical Knowledge: Epistemology and Mathematics Education, Falmer Press, London.Google Scholar
- Kilpatrick, J.: 1987, ‘What Constructivism might be in mathematics education’, in J. C. Bergeron, N. Herscovics and C. Kieran (eds.) ‘Proceedings Eleventh Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education ’, University of Montreal, Montreal pp. 2-27.Google Scholar
- Lossky, V.: 1973, The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church, James Clarke & Co. Ltd, London.Google Scholar
- Noddings, N.: 1990, ‘Constructivism in Mathematics Education’, in R. Davis, C. Maher and N. Noddings, (eds.) ‘Constructivist Views on Teaching and Learning Mathematics’, Journal for Research in Mathematics Education 4.Google Scholar
- Noss, R. and Hoyles, C.: 1996, Windows on Mathematical Meaning, Kluwer Press, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Otte, M.: 1994, ‘Is Radical Constructivism Coherent?’, in P. Ernest (ed.) Constructing Mathematical Knowledge: Epistemology and Mathematics Education, Falmer Press, London.Google Scholar
- Rahner, K. and Vorgrimler, H.: 1983, A Concise Theological Dictionary.Second Ed. Burns and Oates, London.Google Scholar
- Vergnaud, G.: 1987, ‘About Constructivism’, in J. C. Bergeron, N. Herscovics and C. Kieran (eds.) Proceedings of the Eleventh Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education, University of Montreal, Montreal.Google Scholar
- Wittgenstein, L.: 1953, Philosophical Investigations, Basil Blackwell, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Wittgenstein, L.: 1963, Tractatus LogicoPhilosophicus, Routledge and Kegan Paul, London.Google Scholar
- Wittgenstein, L.: 1977, On Certainty, G. E. M. Anscombe and G. H. von Wright (eds.), Basil Blackwell, Oxford.Google Scholar