Hierarchical Decision Lists for Word Sense Disambiguation
- 182 Downloads
This paper describes a supervised algorithm for word sensedisambiguation based on hierarchies of decision lists. This algorithmsupports a useful degree of conditional branching while minimizing thetraining data fragmentation typical of decision trees. Classificationsare based on a rich set of collocational, morphological and syntacticcontextual features, extracted automatically from training data andweighted sensitive to the nature of the feature and feature class. Thealgorithm is evaluated comprehensively in the SENSEVAL framework,achieving the top performance of all participating supervised systems onthe 36 test words where training data is available.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bruce, R. and J. Wiebe. "Word-sense disambiguation using decomposable models." Proceedings of ACL '94, MD: Las Cruces, 1994, pp. 139–146Google Scholar
- Collins, M. and Y. Singer. "Unsupervised models for named entity classification." Proc. of the 1999 Joint SIGDAT Conference, MD: College Park, 1999, pp. 100–110Google Scholar
- Gale, W., K. Church, and D. Yarowsky. "A method for disambiguating word senses in a large corpus." Computers and the Humanities, 26 (1992), 415–439.Google Scholar
- Golding, A. "A Bayesian hybrid method for context-sensitive spelling correction." Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Very Large Corpora, 1995, pp. 39–53.Google Scholar
- Kilgarriff, A. "SENSEVAL: An exercise in evaluating word sense disambiguation programs." Proceedings of LREC, Granada, 1998, pp. 581–588.Google Scholar
- Mooney, R. "Comparative experiments on disambiguating word senses: An illustration of the role of bias in machine learning." Proc. of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Philadelphia. 1996, pp. 82–91Google Scholar
- Rivest, R. "Learning decision lists." Machine Learning, 2 (1987), 229–246.Google Scholar
- Wilks, Y. and M. Stevenson. "World sense disambiguation using optimised combinations of knowledge sources." Proceedings of COLING/ACL-98. 1998.Google Scholar
- Yarowsky, D. "Decision lists for lexical ambiguity resolution: application to accent restoration in Spanish and French." Proceedings of ACL '94, 1994, pp. 88–95.Google Scholar
- Yarowsky, D. "Unsupervised word sense disambiguation rivaling supervised methods." Proceedings of ACL '95, 1995, pp. 189–196.Google Scholar
- Yarowsky, D. "Homograph disambiguation in speech synthesis." In J. van Santen, R. Sproat, J. Olive and J. Hirschberg (eds.), Progess in Speech Synthesis, Springer-Verlag, 1997, pp. 159–175.Google Scholar