Geometric Treatment of the Gravitomagnetic Clock Effect
- 61 Downloads
We have developed a general geometric treatment of the GCE valid for any stationary axisymmetric metric. The method is based on the remark that the world lines of objects rotating along spacely circular trajectories are in any case, for those kind of metrics, helices drawn on the flat bidimensional surface of a cylinder. Applying the obtained formulas to the special cases of the Kerr and weak field metric for a spinning body, known results for time delays and synchrony defects are recovered.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cohen, J. M. and Mashhoon, B. (1993). Phys. Lett. A 181, 353.Google Scholar
- 2.Tartaglia, A. (1999). Class. Quantum Grav. 16, 1.Google Scholar
- 3.Mashhoon, B., Gronwald, F., and Theiss, D. S. (1999). Ann. Phys. (Leip.) 8, 135.Google Scholar
- 4.Sagnac, G. (1913). Comptes rendus 157, 708.Google Scholar
- 5.Anandan, J. (1981). Phys. Rev. D 24, (1981) 338; Stedman, G. E. (1997). Rep. Prog. Phys. 60, 615.Google Scholar
- 6.Rizzi, G. and Tartaglia, A. (1998). Found. Phys. 28, 1663.Google Scholar
- 7.Tartaglia, A. (1998). Phys. Rev. D 58, 064009.Google Scholar
- 8.Straumann, N. (1991). General Relativity and Relativistic Astrophysics(Springer-Verlag, Berlin).Google Scholar