Morphometrics and enzyme activities in the femoral muscles of variegated grasshopper Zonocerus variegatus (Orthoptera: Pyrgomorphidae) during post-embryonic development
The measurements of the hind femur and activities of five enzymes (α-glucosidase, amylase, cellulase, proteinase and lipase) were determined in the femoral muscles of all post-embryonic developmental stages of Zonocerus variegatus (Linnaeus). The length, width and weight of the hind femur increased during the post-embryonic developmental stages. The enzymatic activities in the femoral muscles of the adult stage were significantly (P < 0.05) higher than the lower instar stages. Proteinase and lipase activities were higher than the carbohydrases (a-glucosidase, amylase and cellulase), reflecting the nature and composition of the food plants consumed.
Key wordsfemoral muscle Z. variegatus enzyme activities post-embryonic development morphometrics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adedire C. O. and Balogun R. A. (1995) Digestive enzymes and regional localization of proteolytic endopeptidases in alimentary canal of kola nut weevil Sophrorhinus insperatus Faust (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Entomon 20, 183–189.Google Scholar
- Ademolu K. O., Idowu A. B. and Amusan A. A. A. (2007) Chemical analysis of tissues of Zonocerus variegatus (L) (Orthoptera: Pygomorphidae) during post-embryonic development in Abeokuta, South-western Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Entomology 24, 24–34.Google Scholar
- Ademolu K. O., Idowu A. B. and Dansu B. M. (2006) Morphometric analysis of Zonocerus variegatus during post embryonic development, pp. 75–79. In Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Science and National Development organized by College of Natural Sciences. University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria.Google Scholar
- Balogun R. A. (1972) Digestive carbohydrases and the nature of amylase in the gut homogenates of Zonocerus variegatus (L). Bulletin of the Entomological Society of Nigeria 3, 91–94.Google Scholar
- Chapman R. (1990) The Insect: Structure and Function. The English Language. Book Society and Hodder and Stoughton, London. 968 pp.Google Scholar
- Idowu A. B. and Edema M. O. (2001) The microbial flora of the different gut regions of Zonocerus variegatus (L) (Orthoptera: Pyrgomorphidea). Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection 620, 19–30.Google Scholar
- Modder W. W. D. (1983) Diurnal variation in the feeding and growth activity in nymphs of the African pest, grasshopper Zonocerus variegatus (L). Insect Science and Its Application 5, 527–531.Google Scholar
- Muse W. A. (2003) Effect of sex, age, starvation and feeding, isolation and crowding and oviposition on longevity of Z. variegatus (L) (Orthoptera:Pygomor-phidae). Journal of Biological Research and Biotechnology 1, 11–20.Google Scholar
- Toye S. A. (1974) Feeding and locomotory activity of Zonocerus variegatus (L) (Orthoptera Acridoidea). Revue de zoologie et de botanique africaines 66, 205–212.Google Scholar
- Toye S. A. (1982) Studies on the biology of the grasshopper pest Zonocerus variegatus (L) (Orthoptera: Pyrgomorphidae) in Nigeria. Insect Science and Its Application 3, 1–7.Google Scholar
- Youdeowei A. (1974) Dissection of the Variegated Grasshopper, Zonocerus variegatus (L). Oxford University Press, Ibadan. 101 pp.Google Scholar