The Performance of Selected Rice Varieties for Relative Resistance to Stem-Borer, Maliarpha Separatella (Rag.), Attack Under Field Conditions
The relative resistance of rice varieties to Maliarpha separatella was studied during 1981 and 1982 long rain seasons. The observations covered the laying of egg masses, tiller infestation, incidence of “whiteheads” and, in some cases, the grain yield.
The results indicated that the varieties BG 34–8 and BG 90–2 received the highest egg masses per plot which apparently caused “whiteheads”. The remaining 10 varieties only indicated moderate response. The 1982 long rain season under no control and carbofuran 5G application regimes showed reduced tiller infestation only in BG 90–2 and Basmati 217. The five tested varieties did not show any marked difference in tiller infestation under the two regimes. Hence, BG 90–2 and Basmati 217 showed some susceptibility of M. separatella, while the rest of the varieties remained moderately resistant.
Moth population varied according to the growth stages of the rice crop in the field, with the peak occurring during the booting to maturation stages.
Key WordsMaliarpha separatella relative resistance ovipositional preference egg masses “whiteheads” grain yield susceptible population coefficient of correlation varieties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agyen-Sampong (1978) The ecology of rice stem-borers in West Africa, Proceedings of Inauguration of African Association of Insect Scientists at the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Nairobi, Kenya, December 5–8, 1978.Google Scholar
- Ankisola, E. A. (1973) Resistance to the yellow stem-borer Tryporyza incertulas (Walker) in rice varieties. Unpublished MSc thesis, University of the Philippines, College of Agriculture, Los Banos.Google Scholar
- Breneire, J. (1976) The Principal Insect Pests of Rice in West Africa and their Control WARDA.Google Scholar
- Israel, P. (1967) Varietal resistance to stem-borers in India in International Rice Research Institute. In The Major Insect Pests of the Rice Plant, pp. 391–403. Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland.Google Scholar
- Manwan, I. (1975) Resistance of rice varieties of yellow borer, Tryporyza incertulas (Walker). Unpublished MSc thesis, University of the Philippines at Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines.Google Scholar
- Pathak, M. D. (1967) Varietal resistance to rice stemborer at IRRI. In Major Insect Pests of the Rice Plant (Proceedings Symposium International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos), pp. 405–418. Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland.Google Scholar