Further Observations on the Resting Site Preferences of the Tsetse, Glossina Palpalis Gambiensis Vanderplank (Diptera: Glossinidae), in Mali
—A study of the resting site preferences of Glossina palpalis gambiensis in an area of a gallery forest in the Northern Guinea Savanna of Mali, infested exclusively by G. p. gambiensis was conducted in February, 1980 (hot dry season). Five site-types were compared: fallen logs, boles, undergrowth, tree canopies and branches. Distribution of resting flies was as follows: fallen logs (55.62%), boles (35.24%), undergrowth (8.4%), tree canopies (0.61%) and branches (0.00%). Most of the flies were collected during the periods 06.00–09.00 (37.47%) and 09.00–12.00 hr (46.5%). On boles, 86.06% of flies were found below 1.0 m and no flies were collected above 2.0 m. These results are compared to those obtained during simultaneous studies on the resting site preferences of G. p. gambiensis in an area along the same gallery forest, with mixed G. p. gambiensis and G. morsitans submorsitans infestation. Possible reasons for the differences observed are discussed.
Key WordsResting sites Glossina palpalis gambiensis single-species and mixed infestation interspecific competition gallery forest Northern Guinea Savanna Mali
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrewartha H. G. and Birch L. C. (1954) The Distribution and Abundance of Animals. University Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Bois J. F., Challier A., Laveissiere C. and Ouedraogo V. (1977). Recherche des lieux derepos diurnes des glossines (Glossina palpalìs gambiensis Vanderplank, 1949; Diptera, Glossinidae) par detection de specimens marques au 59 Fe. Cah. ORSTOM Ser. Ent. Med. Parasit. XV, 3–13.Google Scholar
- Challier A. (1973) Ecologie de Glossina palpalis gambiensis Vanderplank, 1949 (Diptera, Muscidae) en Savanne d’Afrique Occidentale. Mémoires ORSTOM 64, Paris, France.Google Scholar
- Crombie, A. C. (1945). On competition between different species of graminivorous insects. Proc. R. ent. Soc. Ser. B. 132, 362–395.Google Scholar
- Dempster J. P. (1975) Animal Population Ecology. Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Emlen J. M. (1977) Ecology—An Evolutionary Approach. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachussetts.Google Scholar
- Eouzan J. P. (1977) Distribution and bionomics. In Tsetse—The Future for Biological Methods in Integrated Control (Ed. by Laird M.). IDRC, Ottawa.Google Scholar
- Okiwelu S. N. (1981) Resting site preferences of the tsetse, Glossina palpalis gambiensis Vanderplank (Diptera: Glossinidae), in Mali. Insect Sci. Application 1, 289–294.Google Scholar