Resistance in Sorghum to the Sorghum Shootfly: Larval Development and Adult Longevity and Fecundity on Selected Cultivars
From field screening of two international nurseries of the sorghum shootfly (Atherigona soccata), seven promising cultivars were selected for investigating the mechanism(s) of resistance. These cultivars were IS 1054, IS 1082, IS 2146, IS 2195, IS 2312, IS 3962 and IS 5613. CSH-1, a hybrid variety from India, was used as a susceptible control. Results from observations on larval development and mortality and the longevity and fecundity of resulting females when released on either CSH-1 or the parent cultivars are reported.
Mortality among the first-instar larvae was very high on IS 2146 followed by IS 2312 and IS 5613. IS 2146, IS 3962 and IS 2312 sustained the least growth of larvae. The larvae in these cultivars were often confined to the upper region of the central shoot.
The survival rate of flies from IS 2146 was very low, and the longevity was significantly reduced in the case of flies from IS 2146 and IS 2195. The preoviposition period was significantly longer when flies were released on IS 1082 and IS 2312. Fecundity of the flies did not differ significantly when released on CSH-1; however, it was significantly reduced when released on parent cultivars in all cases except IS 1054. It is concluded that IS 2146 possesses strong antibiosis for the sorghum shootfly followed by IS 2312 and IS 5613.
Key WordsResistance antibiosis sorghum shootfly Atherigona soccata
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blum A. (1968) Anatomical phenomena in seedlings of sorghum varieties resistant to the sorghum shootfly (Atherigona varia soccata). Crop Sci. 8, 388–391.Google Scholar
- Blum A. (1972) Sorghum breeding for shootfly resistance in Israel. In Control of Sorghum Shootfly (Ed. by Jotwani M. G. and Young W. R.). Oxford & IBH, New Delhi, India.Google Scholar
- Jotwani M. G., Marwaha K. K., Srivastava K. M. and Young W. R. (1970) Seasonal incidence of shootfly (Atherigona varia soccata Rond.) in Jowar hybrids at Delhi. Indian J. Ent. 32, 7–15.Google Scholar
- Jotwani M. G., Sharma G. C., Srivastava, B. G. and Marwaha K. K. (1971) Ovipositional response of shootfly, Atherigona varia soccata (Rondani) on some of the promising resistant lines of sorghum. In Investigations on Insect Pests of Sorghum and Millets (Ed. by Pradhan S.), pp. 119–122. Final Technical Report (1965-1970), Division of Entomology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Jotwani M. G. and Srivastava K. P. (1970) Studies on sorghum lines resistant against shootfly, Atherigona varia soccata Rond. Indian J. Ent. 32, 1–3.Google Scholar
- Maiti R. K., Bidinger F. R., Seshu Reddy K. V., Gibson P. and Davies J. C. (1980) Nature and occurrence of trichomes in sorghum lines with resistance to the sorghum shootfly. Joint Progress Report: Sorghum Physiology-3/Sorghum Entomology-3, ICRISAT, India.Google Scholar
- Ponnaiya B. W. X. (1951) Studies on the genus Sorghum II. The cause of resistance in sorghum to the insect pest, Atherigona indica M. Madras Univ. J. 21, 203–217.Google Scholar
- Raina A. K. (1981) Movement, feeding behaviour and growth of larvae of the sorghum shootfly, Atherigona soccata. Insect Sci. Applic. 2, 77–81.Google Scholar
- Singh R. and Narayana K. L. (1978) Influence of different varieties of sorghum on the biology of the sorghum shootfly. Indian J. agric. Sci. 48, 8–12.Google Scholar
- Singh S. R., Vedamoorthy G., Thobbi V. V., Jotwani M. G., Young W. R., Balan J. S., Srivastava K. P., Sandhu G. S. and Krishnananda N. (1968) Resistance to stem borer Chilo zonellus (Swinhoe) and stemfly, Atherigona varia soccata Rond, in the world sorghum collection in India. Mem. ent. Soc. India 7, 1–79.Google Scholar
- Soto P. E. and Laxminarayana K. (1971) A method for rearing the sorghum shootfly, J. econ. Ent. 64, 553.Google Scholar
- Young W. R. (1970) Sorghum insects. In Sorghum Production and Utilization (Edited by Wall J. S. and Ross W. M.), pp. 235–287. Avi, Westport, Connecticut.Google Scholar
- Young W. R. (1972) Sources of resistance to the sorghum shootfly Atherigona varia soccata Rond. In Control of Sorghum Shootfly (Ed. by Jotwani M. G. and Young W. R.). Oxford & IBH, New Delhi.Google Scholar