Sugar-Cane Aleurodids, Aleurolobus Barodensis (Maskell) and Neomaskellia Andropogonis Corbett (Hom.: Aleyrodidae), and Their Natural Enemies in Pakistan
Aleurolobus barodensis (Maskell) was more abundant than Neomaskellia andropogonis Corbett on sugar-cane in Pakistan. Azotus delhiensis Lai, Eretmocerus sp., Prospaltella flava Shafee, Amitus sp. and Tetrastichus sp. parasitized nymphs and pupae of A. barodensis and E. serius Silvestri those of N. andropogonis. Chrysopa carnea Steph., Brumoides suturalis (F.), Catana parcesetosa (Sic), Oenopia sauzeti Muls., Scymnus sp. and S. nubilus Muls. preyed on the immatures of the aleurodids.
In Peshawar valley where the crop is aerially sprayed twice a year to control Chilo infuscatellus Sn., Tryporyza nivella F., A. barodensis and Pyrilla spp., the rate of parasitism on A. barodensis was very low and its density was very high, being 330 immatures/leaf at Charsadda and 425 at Mardan in November 1979. At Sialkot (Punjab) where the crop is not sprayed, the rate of parasitism, mainly by A. delhiensis and Amitus sp., at this time was 22% and the density of A. barodensis was 70.4 immatures/leaf. The maximum rate of parasitism was 71% in January. The abundance of A. barodensis in Peshawar valley seems to be due to the mortality of natural enemies because of aerial spraying, therefore, judicious use of insecticides and redistribution of natural enemies in these areas is recommended.
Key WordsSugar-cane whitefly Aleurolobus barodensis Neomaskellia andropogonis population densities biological control insecticide resistance Aphelinidae Coccinellidae Eulophidae Platygasteridae
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmad F., Tariq Z. K. and Haque H. (1970) Control of sugarcane pyrilla and whitefly by aerial application of emulsifiable concentrates at ultra-low-volume. PANS 16, 165–171.Google Scholar
- Butani D. K. (1965) Bionomics and control of sugarcane whitefly. Labdev J. Sci. Tech. 3, 159–167.Google Scholar
- David A. L., Kalyanaraman V. M. and Narayanaswamy P. S. (1962) Ecology and distribution of the sugarcane whitefly Aleurolobus barodensis M., in Madras State and its control. Ind. J. Sug. Res. Dev. 6, 212–216.Google Scholar
- Fulmek L. (1943) Wirtsindex der Aleyrodiden-und Cocciden-Parasiten. Ent. Beih. Berl.-Dahlem 10.Google Scholar
- Inayatullah C. and Goraya A. A. (1980) Studies on potential biological control agents of whiteflies in Pakistan. Ann. Rept. CIBC, Pak. Stn., Rawalpindi. (Mimeographed).Google Scholar
- Kapur A. P. (1940) A note on the ladybird beetle (Coccinellidae) predating on the cane whitefly (Aleurolobus barodensis Mask.). Curr. Sci. 9, 134.Google Scholar
- Khan M. Q. and Rao B. H. K, (1957) Pupal parasitization in Aleurolobus barodensis Mask., by Azotus delhiensis Lai. Proc. 3rd Bien. Conf. Sug. Res. Dev. Workers, Pusa, India, Pt I (abstracts), pp. 50–51.Google Scholar
- Khanna K. L. and Singh K. P. (1951) Studies on distribution of the sugarcane whitefly (Aleurolobus barodensis Mask.) on leaves in the different regions of a cane stalk and on different parts of leaf lamina. Ind. J. Ent. 13, 95–98.Google Scholar
- Lalwani A. M. (1948) Notes on the life history of the chalcid parasite Azotus delhiensis Lal, on whitefly Aleurolobus barodensis Mask. Curr. Sci. 17, 155–156.Google Scholar
- Mahmood S. H. (1955) Morphology and biology of sugarcane whitefly (Aleurolobus barodensis Maskell) in India. Mem. ent. Soc. India 4.Google Scholar
- Mound L. A. and Halsey S. H. (1978) Whitefly of the World. BM (Natural History), London.Google Scholar
- Rafiq M. (1976) Crop Ecological Zones of Nine Countries of the Near East Region. FAO, Rome. (Mimeographed).Google Scholar
- Ramachandrachari C., Siva Rao D. V. and Mohan Rao N. V. (1959) A new entomophagous fungus on cane whitefly (Aleurolobus barodensis Mask.). Madras agric. J. 46, 70.Google Scholar
- Sandhu J. S. (1966) Nature and extent of damage to sugarcane caused by whitefly (Aleurolobus barodensis Mask.) in the Punjab. J. Res. Punjab agric. Univ. 3, 414–416.Google Scholar
- Sandhu J. S. and Singh S. (1963) Studies on the biology of sugarcane whitefly Aleurolobus barodensis Maskell. Ind. J. Sug. Res. 7, 83–88.Google Scholar
- Sheikh F. R. (1969) Control of sugarcane pests by air in Mardan district during Kharif-1964. Agric. Pakistan 4, 673–684.Google Scholar
- Siddiqui Z. A. and Saxena A. P. (1960) Studies on the control of sugarcane whitefly and the effects of its infestation on juice quality. Ind. J. Ent. 22, 99–104.Google Scholar
- Tiwari N. K., Avasthy P. N., Nigam H. and Chandra J. (1978) Parasite complex in sugarcane white fly, Aleurolobus barodensis Mask. Ind. J. Ent. 40, 446.Google Scholar