Multiorgan resection of locally advanced gastric cancer has previously been associated with increased morbidity. This study was performed to determine the actual prevalence of pathologic T4 disease in multiorgan gastric resection specimens excised for presumed clinical T4 gastric cancer. A prospective oncology database was queried to identify gastric cancer patients who underwent en bloc multiorgan resection for clinical T4 lesions. Four hundred eighteen patients with gastric cancer underwent gastrectomy between 1990 and 2002. Multiorgan resection was performed in 21 of 418 (5%) patients. Multiorgan resection was not associated with a significant increase in morbidity or mortality. Pathologically confirmed T4 disease was present in only 8 of 21 (38%) patients; the pathologic T stage in all remaining patients was T3 (13 [62%]). Fifteen patients were evaluated by preoperative computed tomography scan. Preoperative computed tomography was inaccurate in assessing T4 lesions, with a positive predictive value of only 50%. Multiorgan resection was safely performed in patients with locally advanced gastric cancer. Pathologic T4 disease was present in only one third of multiorgan resections performed for en bloc excision of locally advanced gastric cancer. Improved methods for intraoperative assessment of disease extension to adjacent viscera should be investigated.
This is a preview of subscription content, access via your institution.
Buy single article
Instant access to the full article PDF.
Tax calculation will be finalised during checkout.
Schmid A, Thybusch A, Kremer B, et al. Differential effects of radical D2-lymphadenectomy and splenectomy in surgically treated gastric cancer patients. Hepatogastroenterology 2000; 47:579–585.
Shchepotin IB, Chorny VA, Nauta RJ, et al. Extended surgical resection in T4 gastric cancer. Am J Surg 1998;175:123–126.
Kasakura Y, Fujii M, Mochizuki F, et al. Is there a bene.t of pancreaticosplenectomy with gastrectomy for advanced gastric cancer? Am J Surg 2000;179:237–242.
Sasako M. Risk factors for surgical treatment in the Dutch Gastric Cancer Trial. Br J Surg 1997;84:1567–1571.
Onate-Ocana LF, Cortes-Cardenas SA, Aiello-Crocifoglio V, et al. Preoperative multivariate prediction of morbidity after gastrectomy for adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol 2000;7:281–288.
Cuschieri A, Weeden S, Fielding J, et al. Patient survival after D1 and D2 resections for gastric cancer: Long-term results of the MRC randomized surgical trial. Surgical Cooperative Group. Br J Cancer 1999;79:1522–1530.
Brady MS, Rogatko A, Dent LL, et al. Effect of splenectomy on morbidity and survival following curative gastrectomy for carcinoma. Arch Surg 1991;126:359–364.
Kayaalp C, Arda K, Orug T, et al. Value of computed tomography in addition to ultrasound for preoperative staging of gastric cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol 2002;28:540–543.
Tunaci M. Carcinoma of stomach and duodenum: Radiologic diagnosis and staging. Eur J Radiol 2002;42:181–192.
Lavonius MI, Gullichsen R, Salo S, et al. Staging of gastric cancer: A study with spiral computed tomography, ultrasonography, laparoscopy, and laparoscopic ultrasonography. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2002;12:77–81.
Mani NB, Suri S, Gupta S, et al. Two-phase dynamic contrastenhanced computed tomography with water-filling method for staging of gastric carcinoma. Clin Imaging 2001;25:38–43.
Lee DH, Seo TS, Ko YT. Spiral CT of the gastric carcinoma: Staging and enhancement pattern. Clin Imaging 2001;25:32–37.
Martin RC, Jaques DP, Brennan MF, et al. Extended local resection for advanced gastric cancer: Increased survival versus increased morbidity. Ann Surg 2002;236:159–165.
Martin RC, Jaques DP, Brennan MF, et al. Achieving RO resection for locally advanced gastric cancer: Is it worth the risk of multiorgan resection? J Am Coll Surg 2002;194:568–577.
Wakelin SJ, Deans C, Crofts TJ, et al. A comparison of computerised tomography, laparoscopic ultrasound and endoscopic ultrasound in the preoperative staging of oesophagogastric carcinoma. Eur J Radiol 2002;41:161–167.
Kelly S, Harris KM, Berry E, et al. A systematic review of the staging performance of endoscopic ultrasound in gastrooesophageal carcinoma. Gut 2001;49:534–539.
About this article
Cite this article
Colen, K.L., Marcus, S.G., Newman, E. et al. Multiorgan resection for gastric cancer: intraoperative and computed tomography assessment of locally advanced disease is inaccurate. J Gastrointest Surg 8, 897–900 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gassur.2004.08.005
- Gastric cancer
- locally advanced