Damage evolution and crack propagation in rocks with dual elliptic flaws in compression
To give an insight into the understanding of damage evolution and crack propagation in rocks, a series of uniaxial and biaxial compression numerical tests are carried out. The investigations show that damage evolution occurs firstly in the weak rock, the area around the flaw and the area between the flaw and the neighboring rock layer. Cracks mostly generate as tensile cracks under uniaxial compression and shear cracks under biaxial compression. Crack patterns are classified and divided. The relationship between the accumulated lateral displacement and the short radius (b) is fitted, and the equation of crack path is also established.
KeywordsDamage evolution Crack propagation Elliptic flaw
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.S.Q. Yang, X.R. Liu, H.W. Jing, Experimental investigation on fracture coalescence behavior of red sandstone containing two unparallel fissures under uniaxial compression, Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. 63 (2013) 82–92.Google Scholar
- 11.H.D. Tang, Z.D. Zhu, M.L. Zhu, H.X. Lin, Mechanical behavior of 3D crack growth in transparent rock-like material containing preexisting flaws under compression, Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2015 (2015) 1–10.Google Scholar
- 19.I.G. Abdul’manov, N.S. Krasílova, V.A. Maksimenko, V.P. Netrebko, N.P. Novikov, Influence of the shape of an inclusion on the stress distribution in rock, J. Min. Sci. 24 (1988) 43–46.Google Scholar
- 20.M.R. Du, H.W. Jing, H.J. Su, T.T. Zhu, Effects of hole’s geometrical shape on strength and failure characteristics of a sandstone sample containing a single hole, Eng. Mech. 33 (2016) 190–196 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 21.J. Jaeger, N.G. Cook, R.W. Zimmerman, R. Zimmerman, Fundamentals of Rock Mechanics, Blackwell, 2007.Google Scholar
- 22.S.Y. Li, T.M. He, X.C. Yin, Rock Fracture Mechanics, Science Press, 2016 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 26.G. Chen, J. Kemeny, S. Harpalani, Fracture propagation and coalescence in marble plates with pre-cut notches under compression, in: Symposium on Fracture and Jointed Rock Mass, Lake Taho, CA, 1992, pp. 443–448.Google Scholar
- 30.H. Haeri, V. Sarfarazi, M.F. Marji, A. Hedayat, Z. Zhu, Experimental and numerical study of shear fracture in brittle materials with interference of initial double cracks fracture analyses of different pre-holed concrete specimens under compression, Acta Mech. Solida Sin. 29 (2016) 555–566.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Q. Li, Q. Yang, M. Luan, Study of curved wing crack path by theory and testing methods, Rock Soil Mech. 31 (2010) 345–349 (in Chinese).Google Scholar