Automated Kinematics Measurement and Aerodynamics of a Bioinspired Flapping Rotary Wing
- 2 Downloads
A physical model for a micro air vehicle with Flapping Rotary Wings (FRW) is investigated by measuring the wing kinematics in trim conditions and computing the corresponding aerodynamic force using computational fluid dynamics. In order to capture the motion image and reconstruct the positions and orientations of the wing, the photogrammetric method is adopted and a method for automated recognition of the marked points is developed. The characteristics of the realistic wing kinematics are presented. The results show that the non-dimensional rotating speed is a linear function of non-dimensional flapping frequency regardless of the initial angles of attack. Moreover, the effects of wing kinematics on aerodynamic force production and the underlying mechanism are analyzed. The results show that the wing passive pitching caused by elastic deformation can significantly enhance lift production. The Strouhal number of the FRW is much higher than that of general flapping wings, indicating the stronger unsteadiness of flows in FRW.
Keywordsbioinspired flapping rotary wing aerodynamics wing kinematics measurement computational fluid dynamics micro air vehicle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- McMichael J M, Francis M S. Micro Air Vehicles-toward a New Dimension in Flight, DARPA document, USA, 1997.Google Scholar
- Keennon M, Klingebiel K, Won H. Development of the nano hummingbird: A tailless flapping wing micro air vehicle. 50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Nashville, USA, 2012.Google Scholar
- Fitchett B K. Development and Investigation of a Flapping Rotor for Micro Air Vehicles, Master thesis, University of Maryland, College Park, USA, 2007Google Scholar
- Guo S, Li D, Huang Z. A smart material aeroelastic flapping wing micro rotorcraft. International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics, Seattle, USA, 2009, 21-25.Google Scholar
- Guo S, Li D, Matteo N, Yang D. Design, experiment and aerodynamic calculation of a flapping wing rotor micro aerial vehicle. The 52nd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Denver, USA, 2011, 4–7.Google Scholar
- Wu J H, Wang D, Guo S. Unsteady aerodynamic simulation of a flapping wing at low Reynolds number. The 15th International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics, Paris, France, 2011.Google Scholar