On Behaviors of Functionally Graded SMAs under Thermo-Mechanical Coupling
An analytical solution is obtained for the Functionally Graded Shape Memory Alloy (FG-SMA) composites subjected to thermo-mechanical coupling. Young’s modulus and thermal expansion coefficient of the material are assumed to vary in different forms of power function through the thickness, with the Poisson’s ratio being constant. An SMA constitutive model is combined with the averaging techniques of composite to determine the mechanical properties of the FG-SMA composites. Different phase transformation steps and the corresponding stress distributions through the thickness direction are given. The results show that the average stresses decrease as the transformations proceed.
Key Wordsfunctionally graded SMAs phase transformation constitutive model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chen, Y.L. and Ghosh, S., Micromechanical analysis of strain rate-dependent deformation and failure in composite microstructures under dynamic loading conditions. International Journal of Plasticity, 2012, 32–33: 218–247.Google Scholar
- 4.Liu, B.F., Dui, G.S. and Zhu, Y.P., A constitutive model for porous shape memory alloys considering the effect of hydrostatic stress. CMES-Computer Modeling in Engineering & Science, 2011, 78(4): 247–275.Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, J.P., Chen, G. and Zhai, P.C., Creep property of functionally graded materials. Materials Science Forum, 2005, 492–493: 441–446.Google Scholar
- 15.Lagoudas, D.C., Hartl, D., Chemisky, Y., Machado, L. and Popov, P., Constitutive model for the numerical analysis of phase transformation in polycrystalline shape memory alloys. International Journal of Plasticity, 2012, 32–33: 155–183.Google Scholar
- 18.Miyazaki, E. and Watanabe, Y., Development of shape memory alloy fiber reinforced smart FGMs. Materials Science Forum, 2003, 423–425: 107–112.Google Scholar
- 19.Lester, B.T., Chenisky, Y. and Lagoudas, D.C., Transformation characteristics of shape memory alloy composites. Smart Materials & Structures, 2012, 20: 1–13.Google Scholar
- 20.Zheng, B., Xu, J. and Qi, M., Preparation of graded DLC film on TiNi SMA by plasma enhanced deposition and behavior of corrosion-resistance. Journal of Functional Materials, 2007, 38(1): 115–118.Google Scholar
- 24.Zhang, Y.P., Zhang, X.P. and Zhong, Z.Y., Fabrication, transformation and superelasticity behavior of NiTi memory alloy with large pore-size and gradient porosity. Aata Metallurgica Sinica, 2007, 43(11): 1221–1227.Google Scholar