A New Damage Mechanics Based Approach to Fatigue Life Prediction and its Engineering Application
- 1 Downloads
An approach based on continuum damage mechanics to fatigue life prediction for structures is proposed. A new fatigue damage evolution equation is developed, in which the parameters are obtained in a simple way with reference to the experimental results of fatigue tests on standard specimens. With the utilization of APDL language on the ANSYS platform, a finite element implementation is presented to perform coupling operation on damage evolution of material and stress redistribution. The fatigue lives of some notched specimens and a Pitch-change-link are predicted by using the above approach. The calculated results are validated with experimental data.
Key Wordsfatigue damage model damage mechanics fatigue life finite element method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Findley, W.N., A Theory for the Effect of Mean Stress on Fatigue of Metals under Combined Torsion and Axial Load or Bending. Engineering Materials Research Laboratory, Division of Engineering, Brown University, 1958.Google Scholar
- 11.Yu, S.W. and Feng, X.Q., Damage Mechanics. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 15.Lemaitre, J. and Rodrigue, D., Engineering Damage Mechanics. Springer, 2005.Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang, X., Zhao, J. and Zheng, X.D., Method of damage mechanics for prediction of structure member fatigue lives. Handbook of fatigue crack propagation in metallic structures. Elsevier, 1994.Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang, X., Fracture and Damage Mechanics. Beijing: Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics Press, 2006.Google Scholar
- 22.Gao, Z.T., The Fatigue Performance Experiments Design and Data Processing. Beijing: Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics Press, 1999.Google Scholar