A Damage Mechanics Model for Fatigue Life Prediction of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composite Lamina
- 3 Downloads
A damage mechanics fatigue life prediction model for the fiber reinforced polymer lamina is established. The stiffness matrix of the lamina is derived by elastic constants of fiber and matrix. Two independent damage degrees of fiber and matrix are introduced to establish constitutive relations with damage. The damage driving forces and damage evolution equations for fiber and matrix are derived respectively. Fatigue tests on 0° and 90° unidirectional laminates are conducted respectively to identify parameters in damage evolution equations of fiber and matrix. The failure criterion of the lamina is presented. Finally, the life prediction model for lamina is proposed.
Key wordsfiber reinforced polymer composite lamina continuum damage mechanics fatigue life prediction fiber breakage matrix cracking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Talerja, R., Fatigue of Composite Materials. Lancaster: Technomic Publishing Company, 1987.Google Scholar
- Reifsnider, K.L., Fatigue of Composite Materials. New York: Elsevier Science Publishers, 1991.Google Scholar
- Zhang, J.Q. and Hermann, K.P., Stiffness degradation Induced by multilayer intralaminar cracking in composite laminates. Composites Materials, 1999, 30: 683–706.Google Scholar
- Takahara, A. tsushi, et al., Effect of glass fiber-matrix polymer interaction on fatigue characteristic of short glass fiber reinforced ploy (butylene tereph thalate) based on dynamic viscoelastic measurement during the fatigue process. Journal of Polymer Science, Part B, 1994, 32: 174–181.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ganesan, R., Astochastic cumulative damage model for the fatigue response of laminated composite. ICCM-11, 1997: 145–156.Google Scholar
- Zhang, X. and Zhao, J., Applied Fatigue Damage Mechanics of Metallic Structural Members. Beijing: National Defence Industry Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- Research Institute of Aerospace Industry Ministry, Composites Design Handbook. Beijing: Aviation Industry Press, 1990.Google Scholar