Investigation on compliance rotation correction for compact tensile specimen in unloading compliance method
The rotation correction method of unloading compliance for a compact tensile (CT) specimen in the current J-integral resistance curves or critical J-integral test standards was under suspicion by tracing to its source, and a new rotation correction method was proposed. The rotation center of the specimen is close to the crack tip, and the material constitutive relationship has little effect on the rotational radius R. If the formula for rotation correction recommended in current standards is used to measure the crack length of CT specimen, it will lead to larger error. A new formula with better accuracy for the crack length measurement of the CT specimen was presented.
Key wordsductile fracture toughness unloading compliance compact tensile specimen rotation correction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- GB/T 2038-91, Metallic Materials-Standard Test Method for JIC, a Measure of Fracture Toughness. Beijing: Standards Press of China, 1991(in Chinese).Google Scholar
- ASTM E813-89, Standard Test Method for JIC, a Measure of Fracture Toughness. Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol.3.01, Philadelphia, PA: American Society for Testing and Materials, 2002.Google Scholar
- ASTM E1820-06, Standard Test Methods for Measurement of Fracture Toughness. Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol.3.01, Philadelphia, PA: American Society for Testing and Materials, 2006.Google Scholar
- ISO 12135-2002(E), International Standard of Unified Method of Test for the Determination of Quasistatic Fracture Toughness. International Organization for Standardization, 2002.Google Scholar
- GB/T 21143-2007, Metallic Materials-unified Method of Test for Determination of Quasistatic Fracture Toughness. Beijing: Standards Press of China, 2007 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Gray, R.A., Loss, F.J. and Menke, B.H., Development of J-R Curve Procedures. NRL-EPRI Research Program(RP 886.2), 1979.Google Scholar
- Loss, F.J., Structural Integrity of Water Reactor Pressure Boundary Components. Progress Resport Ending 30 Nov 1977, NRL Memorandum Report 3782, 1978.Google Scholar
- Joyce, J.A. and Link, R.E., Effects of Tensile Loading on Upper Shelf Fracture Toughness. Survivability, Structures, and Materials Directorate Research and Development Report, Carderock Division Naval Surface Warfare Center, 1994.Google Scholar
- Joyce, J.A. and Link, R.E., Effects of Constraint on Upper Shelf Fracture Toughness. Fracture Mechanics, 26th Volume, ASTM STP1256, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1995.Google Scholar