Multiple Parallel Symmetric Permeable Model-III Cracks in a Piezoelectric/Piezomagnetic Composite Material Plane
In this paper, the interactions of multiple parallel symmetric and permeable finite length cracks in a piezoelectric/piezomagnetic material plane subjected to anti-plane shear stress loading are studied by the Schmidt method. The problem is formulated through Fourier transform into dual integral equations, in which the unknown variables are the displacement jumps across the crack surfaces. To solve the dual integral equations, the displacement jumps across the crack surfaces are directly expanded as a series of Jacobi polynomials. Finally, the relation between the electric field, the magnetic flux field and the stress field near the crack tips is obtained. The results show that the stress, the electric displacement and the magnetic flux intensity factors at the crack tips depend on the length and spacing of the cracks. It is also revealed that the crack shielding effect presents in piezoelectric/piezomagnetic materials.
Key wordspiezoelectric/piezomagnetic composites multiple parallel symmetric cracks crack shielding effect mechanics of solids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Van Suchtelen, J., Product properties: a new application of composite materials. Phillips Research Reports, 1972, 27(1): 28–37.Google Scholar
- Harshe, G. and Dougherty, J.P., Newnham RE, Theoretical modeling of 3-0/0-3 magnetoelectric composites. International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics in Materials, 1993, 4(2): 161–171.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Z.G. and Wang, B., The scattering of the harmonic anti-plane shear stress waves by two collinear interface cracks between two dissimilar functionally graded piezoelectric/piezomagnetic material half infinite planes. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 2006, 220(2): 137–148.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Morse, P.M. and Feshbach, H., Methods of Theoretical Physics. Vol.1, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1958, 926.Google Scholar
- Erdelyi, A., Tables of Integral Transforms, Vol.1, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954, 34–89.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Z.G., Du, S.Y. and Wang, B., Dynamic behavior of two parallel symmetric permeable cracks in a piezoelectric material strip. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2002, 15(3): 294–302.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Z.G., Du, S.Y. and Wang, B., Analysis of the dynamic behavior a Griffith permeable crack in piezoelectric materials use of non-local theory. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2003, 16(1): 52–60.Google Scholar