Continuum Void Nucleation Model for Al-Mg Alloy Sheet Based on Measured Particle Distribution
Void nucleation within measured particle fields of an aluminum alloy is investigated to develop a continuum nucleation model which reflects nucleation at the individual particle scale. A nucleation model for heterogeneous particle distributions is synchronized with the continuum model of Chu and Needleman using the average nucleation strain. The parameters in the continuum model are identified from the particle fields and are evaluated over the range of stress states observed in sheet metal forming. The synchronized continuum nucleation model achieves very good agreement with the nucleation trends for three measured particle fields in uniaxial tension, plane strain, and equal-biaxial tension.
Key wordsvoid nucleation ductile fracture second-phase particles aluminum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pilkey, A.K., Effect of Second Phase Particle Clustering on Aluminum-Silicon Alloy Sheet Formability. Ph.D. Thesis, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, 1997.Google Scholar
- Chen, Z.T., The Role of Heterogeneous Particle Distribution in the Prediction of Ductile Fracture. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, 2004.Google Scholar
- Gologanu, M., Leblond, J.B., Perrin, G., Devaux, J., Recent extensions of Gurson’s model for porous ductile metals. In: Continuum Mechanics, P. Suquet, Ed., Springer-Verlag, New York, 1997, 61–130.Google Scholar
- Voce, E., Relationship between stress and strain for homogeneous deformation. Journal of the Institute of Metals, 1948, 74: 537–562.Google Scholar
- Dighe, M.D. and Gokhale, A.M. and Horstemeyer, M.F., Effect of temperature on silicon particles damage in A356 alloy. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 2002, 38: 1–8.Google Scholar
- Gangalee, A. and Gurland, J., On the fracture of silicon particles in aluminum-silicon alloys. Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME, 1967, 269–272.Google Scholar
- Bai, S.L., Ni, S.Y. and Fang, J., Experimental study of microhole growth and coalescence in ductile materials. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 1999, 12: 220–226.Google Scholar