Efficient calculation of exact mass isotopic distributions
- 359 Downloads
This paper presents a new method for efficiently calculating the exact masses in an isotopic distribution using a dynamic programming approach. The resulting program, isoDalton, can generate extremely high isotopic resolutions as demonstrated by a FWHM resolution of 2 × 1011. This resolution allows very fine mass structures in isotopic distributions to be seen, even for large molecules. Since the number of exact masses grows exponentially with molecular size, only the most probable exact masses are kept, the number of which is user specified.
- 11.Siuzdak, G. The Expanding Role of Mass Spectrometry in Biotechnology; MCC Press: San Diego, 2003; p. 44.Google Scholar
- 12.MATLAB, a technical computing environment and language from The Mathworks, Inc., www.mathworks.com.Google Scholar
- 13.Free Software Foundation, Inc. Boston, MA; http://www.gnu.org/licenses.Google Scholar
- 14.NIST Isotope Data: http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Compositions/index.html.Google Scholar
- 15.Mott, J. L.; Kandel, A.; Baker, T. P. Discrete Mathematics for Computer Scientists and Mathematicians; 2nd ed.; Prentice Hall: Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1986; Chap II.Google Scholar