As-cast acicular ductile aluminum cast iron
The effects of nickel (2.2%) and molybdenum (0.6%) additions on the kinetics, microstructure, and mechanical properties of ductile aluminum cast iron were studied under the as-cast and tempered conditions. Test bars machined from cast to size samples were used for mechanical and metallurgical studies. The results showed that adding nickel and molybdenum to the base iron produced an upper bainitic structure, resulting in an increase in strength and hardness. The same trend was shown when the test bars were tempered at 300 °C in the range of 300 °C to 400 °C. The elongation increased with increasing the temperature from 300 °C to 400 °C. The carbon content of the retained austenite also increased with increasing the temperature. The results also showed that the kinetics, microstructure, and mechanical properties of this iron were similar to those of Ni-Mo alloyed silicon ductile iron.
Key wordsductile aluminum cast iron acicular bainite carbon content retained austenite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Yicheng Z. Hypoid Pinion and Ring Gears of Bainitic Nodular, Iron With Shell Moulded Cast Teeth [A]. 46th International Foundry Congress [C]. Madrid, 1979.Google Scholar
- Chronister T G. Acicular Cast Iron [J]. Casting Engineering, 1978, 10(3): 20.Google Scholar
- Kheder A R I, Jubeh N M, Tahah E M. Fatigue Behavior of Alloyed Acicular Ductile Iron [J]. International Journal for the Joining of Materials, 2005, 17(1): 7.Google Scholar
- Flinn R A, Cohen M, Chipman J. Austempered Ductile Iron-Process Control and Quality Assurance [J]. ASM Transaction, 1942, 30: 1255.Google Scholar
- Sheleng R D. Tensile and Fatigue Properties of Ni-Mo-Bainitic Ductile Iron [J]. AFS Transactions, 1986, 77: 223.Google Scholar
- Boutorabi S M A. The Austempering Kinetics, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Spheroidal Graphite Unalloyed Aluminium Cast Iron [D]. Birmingham: University of Birmingham, 1991.Google Scholar
- Boutorabi S M A, Young J M, Kondic V. Austempering Kinetics of Spheroidal Graphite Aluminum Cast Iron [J], Iran University of Science and Technology, 1995, 6(2a): 45.Google Scholar
- Carlberg T, Fredriksson H. Solidification and Casting of Metals [M]. London: The Metals Society, 1979.Google Scholar
- Dodd J. High Strength High Ductility Ductile Irons [J]. Modern Casting, 1978, 68(5): 60.Google Scholar
- Bates C E. Effects of Alloy Elements on the Structure and Microstructure of Gray Cast Iron [J]. AFS Transactions, 1984, 84.Google Scholar
- Dorazil E, Bárta B, Münsterová E. Mechanical Properties of Unalloyed Bainitic Nodular Cast Iron [J]. Giessereitechnik, 1973, 19(3): 79 (in German).Google Scholar
- Viau R, Gagne M, Thibau R. CuNi Alloyed Austempered Ductile Irons [J]. AFS Transactions, 1987, 171: 1.Google Scholar