Columnar to equiaxed transition during solidification of small ingot by using electric current pulse
A new approach to applying the electric current pulse (ECP) with parallel electrodes to the promotion of the transition from columnar crystal to equiaxed crystal and the improvement of macrosegregation was introduced. The ECP was applied to different stages of the solidification. The results showed that the application of the ECP in both the initial stage (the thickness of solidified shell reached 2 mm approximately) and the late stage (the thickness of solidified shell reached 14 mm approximately) of solidification can promote the columnar to equiaxed transition (CET). The analysis showed that during solidification, a large number of nuclei around the upper surface fell off due to ECP, which subsequently showered on the melt and impinged the growth front of the columnar crystal. Therefore, the CET occurred. In addition, this method was also employed to influence the solidification process of bearing steel, and the results showed that the structure was changed from columnar crystal to equiaxed crystal, indicating that ECP can enhance the homogeneity of structure and composition of bearing steel.
Key wordscolumnar to equiaxed transition solidification electric current pulse macrosegregation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ZHAI Qi-jie, GAO Yu-lai. Metals Solidification Under the Influence of External Fields; Research Status in Shanghai University [A]. Han Q Y, Ludtka Gerard, Zhai Q J, eds. Materials Processing Under the Influence of External Fields [C]. Orlando: TMS, 2007. 45.Google Scholar
- Bruce Chalmers. Principles of Solidification [M]. New York: John Wiley and Sons Inc, 1964.Google Scholar
- Jackson K A, Hunt J D, Uhlmann D R, et al. On the Origin of the Equiaxed Zone in Casting [J]. Trans Met Soc AIME, 1966, 236(2): 149.Google Scholar
- Ohno A, Motegi T, Soda H. Origin of the Equiaxed Crystals in Castings [J]. Trans Iron Steel Inst Jap, 1971, 11(1): 18.Google Scholar
- Davies G J. Solidification of Casting [M]. Essex: Applied Science Publishers Ltd, 1973.Google Scholar
- Ohno A, Motegi T. Formation Mechanism of Equiaxed Zones in Cast Metals [J]. AFS 1m Cast Met J, 1977, 2(1): 28.Google Scholar
- Li J, Gao Y, Ma J, et al. The Effect on Solidification Structure of Bearing Steel by Electric Current Pulse With Low Voltage and High Discharging Frequency [A]. TMS, eds. TMS 2008 Annual Meeting Supplemental Proceedings: Volume 3: General Paper Selections [C]. New Orleans: TMS, 2008. 91.Google Scholar