Effect of Autogenous Arc Welding Processes on Tensile and Impact Properties of Ferritic Stainless Steel Joints
- 1 Downloads
The effect of autogeneous arc welding processes on tensile and impact properties of ferritic stainless steel conformed to AISI 409M grade is studied. Rolled plates of 4 mm thickness have been used as the base material for preparing single pass butt welded joints. Tensile and impact properties, microhardness, microstructure, and fracture surface morphology of continuous current gas tungsten arc welding (CCGTAW), pulsed current gas tungsten arc welding (PCGTAW), and plasma arc welding (PAW) joints are evaluated and the results are compared. It is found that the PAW joints of ferritic stainless steel show superior tensile and impact properties when compared with CCGTAW and PCGTAW joints, and this is mainly due to lower heat input, finer fusion zone grain diameter, and higher fusion zone hardness.
Key wordsferritic stainless steel plasma arc welding continuous current gas tungsten arc welding pulsed current gas tungsten arc welding tensile property impact property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pickering F B. Physical Metallurgy of Stainless Steel Developments [J]. Int Met Rev, 1976, 212: 257.Google Scholar
- Parmar R S. Welding Processes and Technology [M]. New Delhi: Khanna Publishers, 2003.Google Scholar
- Meyers A M, M du Toit. Interstitial Diffusion of Carbon and Nitrogen Into Heat Affected Zones of 11 – 12% Chromium Steel Welds [J]. Welding Research Supplement, 2001, 275-s.Google Scholar
- Ravi Vishnu P. Modelling Microstructural Changes in Pulsed Weldments [J]. Welding in the World, 1995, 35(4): 214.Google Scholar
- Balasubramanian V, Ravishankar V, Madhusudhan Reddy G. Effect of Pulsed Current Welding on Mechanical Properties of High Strength Aluminum Alloy [J]. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2007, 35(3–4): 254.Google Scholar
- Kenneth G Budinski. Surface Engineering for Wear Resistance [M]. New York: NY Prentice-Hall Inc, 1988.Google Scholar
- Ellis D J. Mechanised Narrow Gap Welding of Ferritic Steel [J]. Joining and Materials, 1988, 1(2): 80.Google Scholar