Kinetic model of ε-Cu particle dissolution in welding-induced HAZ of copper-containing steel
The kinetics of e-Cu particle dissolution in the matrix of heat affected zone (HAZ) during welding of a copper-containing steel was determined by assembling the welding temperature-time program into a modified Whelan’s solution. The particle dissolution dependence on the degree of “superheating” above the equilibrium transformation is demonstrated from the model. In terms of volume fraction of particle dissolution, the HAZ may be classified into three zones, including the undissolving zone, the partially dissolving zone, and the completely dissolving zone, respectively. The numerical solution was in good agreement with the experimental examination finding. The results of model can be used to quantitatively map the e-Cu dissolution zone dependence on the peak temperature of welding thermal cycles and understand the evolution of this transformation during welding.
Key wordsε-Cu particle dissolution kinetics welding steel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Yoo J Y, Choo W Y, Kin Y W. Effect of Direct Quenching Treatment on Age Hardening Kinetics and Mechanical Properties of Cu Bearing HSLA Steel [A]. AIME, eds. Proc Int Conf Processing Microstructure and Properties of Microalloyed and Other Modern HSLA Steels [C]. Pittsburgh: AIME, 1991. 371.Google Scholar
- 5.Dunne D. Weldable Copper Strengthened Low Carbon Steels [A]. Chinese Society for Metals, eds. Proceedings of HSLA Steel ‘95 [C]. Beijing: China Science and Technology Press, 1995. 79.Google Scholar
- 7.Christian J W. The Theory of Phase Transformations in Metals and Alloys [M]. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- 11.Grong Ø. Metallurgical Modeling of Welding [M]. London: The Institute of Materials, 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.Christensen N, Davis V, Gjermundsen K. Distribution of Temperatures in Arc Welding [J]. Brit Weld J, 1965, 12: 54.Google Scholar