Numerical study of roll motion of a 2-D floating structure in viscous flow
- 3 Downloads
In the present study, an open source CFD tool, OpenFOAM has been extended and applied to investigate roll motion of a 2-D rectangular barge induced by nonlinear regular waves in viscous flow. Comparisons of the present OpenFOAM results with published potential-flow solutions and experimental data have indicated that the newly extended OpenFOAM model is very capable of accurate modelling of wave interaction with freely rolling structures. The wave-induced roll motions, hydrodynamic forces on the barge, velocities and vorticity fields in the vicinity of the structure in the presence of waves have been investigated to reveal the real physics involved in the wave induced roll motion of a 2-D floating structure. Parametric analysis has been carried out to examine the effect of structure dimension and body draft on the roll motion.
Key wordsOpenFOAM CFD potential-flow theory roll motion 2-D floating structure regular waves wave forces viscous flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- LEE J. H., INCECIK A. The simplified method for the prediction of radiation damping coefficients[C]. Proceedings of the 16th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Lisbon, Portugal, 2007, 2178-2183.Google Scholar
- CHEN H. C., LIU T. and CHANG K. A. Time-domain simulation of barge capsizing by chimera domain decomposition approach[C]. Proceedings of the 12th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Kitakyushu, Japan, 2002.Google Scholar
- MORGAN G., ZANG J. and GREAVES D. et al. Using the rasInterFoam CFD model for wave transformation and coastal modeling[C]. Proceedings of 32nd Conference on Coastal Engineering. Shanghai, China, 2010.Google Scholar
- MORGAN G., ZANG J. Application of OpenFOAM to coastal and offshore modelling[C]. The 26th IWWWFB. Athens, Greece, 2011.Google Scholar
- SUN L., CHEN L. F. and ZANG J. et al. Nonlinear interactions of regular waves with a truncated circular column[C]. ITTC Workshop on Wave Run-up and Vortex Shedding. Nantes, France, 2013.Google Scholar
- EKEDAHL E. 6-DOF VOF-solver without damping in OpenFOAM [R]. Project work for the Ph. D. course “CFD with Open Source Software”, Gothenburg, Sweden: Chalmers University of Technology, 2008.Google Scholar
- RUSCHE H. Computational fluid dynamics of dispersed two-phase flows at high phase fractions[D]. Doctoral Thesis, London, UK: Imperial College London, 2003.Google Scholar
- De BRUIJUN R., HUIJS F. and HUIJSMANS R. et al. Calculation of wave forces and internal loads on a semisubmersible at shallow draft using an IVOF method[C]. Proceedings of the ASME 2011 30th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 2011.Google Scholar
- JASAK H., TUKOVIC Z. Automatic mesh motion for the unstructured finite volume method[J]. Transactions of Famena, 2006, 30(2): 1–20.Google Scholar
- The OpenFOAM ® Foundation. The open source CFD toolbox of OpenFOAM: User Guide[M]. OpenCFD Ltd, 2011.Google Scholar
- CHEN H. C., LIU T. and HUANG E. T. Time-domain simulation of large amplitude ship roll motions by a chimera RANS method[C]. Proceedings of the 11th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. Stavanger, Norway, 2001.Google Scholar