A cavitation aggressiveness index within the Reynolds averaged Navier Stokes methodology for cavitating flows
- 3 Downloads
The paper proposes a methodology within the Reynolds averaged Navier Stokes (RANS) solvers for cavitating flows capable of predicting the flow regions of bubble collapse and the potential aggressiveness to material damage. An aggressiveness index is introduced, called cavitation aggressiveness index (CAI) based on the total derivative of pressure which identifies surface areas exposed to bubble collapses, the index is tested in two known cases documented in the open literature and seems to identify regions of potential cavitation damage.
Key wordscavitation aggressiveness index (CAI) cavitation erosion multiphase cavitating flows
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- LEIGHTON T. G. The acoustic bubble[M]. London, UK: Academic Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- HAMMITT F. G. Cavitation and multiphase flow phenomena[M]. New York, USA: McGraw-Hill, 1980.Google Scholar
- PATELLA R. F., CHALLIER G. and REBOUD J. L. Cavitation erosion mechanism: numerical simulations of the interaction between pressure waves and solid boundaries[C]. CAV2001: Fourth International Symposium on Cavitation. Pasadena, CA, USA, 2001.Google Scholar
- PATELLA R. F., ARCHER A. and FLAGEUL C. Numerical and experimental investigations on cavitation erosion[C]. 26th IAHR Symposium on Hydraulic Machinery and Systems. Beijing, China, 2012.Google Scholar
- TERWISGA T. V., ZIRU L. and FITZSIMMONS P. et al. Cavitation erosion-A review of physical mechanisms and erosion risk models[C]. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Cavitation. Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, 2009.Google Scholar
- LI Z. R. Assessment of cavitation erosion with a multiphase Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes method[D]. Doctoral Thesis, Delft, The Netherlands: Delft University of Technology, 2012.Google Scholar
- FRANK T., LIFANTE C. and JEBAUER S. et al. CFD simulation of cloud and tip vortex cavitation on hydrofoils[C]. 6th International Conference on Multiphase Flow (ICMF 2007). Leipzig, Germany, 2007.Google Scholar
- KOUKOUVINIS P., BERGELES G. and GAVAISES M. A new methodology for estimating cavitation erosion: Application on a high speed cavitation rig[C]. 6th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics. Barcelona, Spain, 2014.Google Scholar