Effect of instantaneous change of surface temperature and density on an unsteady liquid–vapour front in a porous medium
- 463 Downloads
This article presents a comprehensive analysis of time dependent condensation model embedded in a porous medium with variations in liquid–vapour densities. Both similarity and asymptotic solutions for the unsteady liquid–vapour phase change front are obtained with the manifestation of various pertinent parameters. The obtained results are compared which congregate well as depicted clearly in graphs. Results indicate that with different diffusivity and contrast ratios, the similarity front parameter is found to be gradually declining with variation in a density ratio. We have shown for the condensation process, the ratio of sensible to latent heat is independent of time and is equal to the half of the Stefan number of the liquid phase.
Keywordsunsteady liquid–vapour front porous medium Stefan number similarity and asymptotic solutions density variations
The corresponding author is profoundly grateful to the financial support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51709191, 51706149, and 51606130), Key Laboratory of Advanced Reactor Engineering and Safety, Ministry of Education (Grant No. ARES-2018-10), and State Key Laboratory of Hydraulics and Mountain River Engineering, Sichuan University (Grant No. Skhl1803).
- Bear, J., Buchlin, J.-M. 1981. Modelling and Applications of Transport Phenomena in Porous Media. Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Carey, V. P. 2007. Liquid-Vapor Phase-Change Phenomena. Taylor & Francis, Inc.Google Scholar
- Carslaw, H. S., Jaeger, J. C. 1959. Conduction of Heat in Solids. Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Gupta, S. C. 2003. The Classical Stefan Problem: Basic Concepts, Modelling and Analysis. Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Lunardini, V. J. 1981. Heat Transfer in Cold Climates. Van Nostrand Reinhold Company.Google Scholar
- Mattheij, R. M. M., Rienstra, S. W., ten Thije Boonkkamp, J. H. M. 2005. Partial Differential Equations: Modeling, Analysis, Computation. SIAM.Google Scholar
- Torranc, K. E. 1986. Phase-change heat transfer in porous media. Heat Transfer, 1: 181–188.Google Scholar