Energy dissipation of slot-type flip buckets
The energy dissipation is a key index in the evaluation of energy dissipation elements. In the present work, a flip bucket with a slot, called the slot-type flip bucket, is theoretically and experimentally investigated by the method of estimating the energy dissipation. The theoretical analysis shows that, in order to have the energy dissipation, it is necessary to determine the sequent flow depth h1 and the flow speed V1 at the corresponding position through the flow depth h2 after the hydraulic jump. The relative flow depth h2 / h。 is a function of the approach flow Froude number Fr。, the relative slot width b/B。, and the relative slot angle θ/β. The expression for estimating the energy dissipation is developed, and the maximum error is not larger than 9.21%.
KeywordsEnergy dissipation hydraulic jump slot-type flip bucket
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Novak P., Moffat A. I. B., Nalluri C. et al. Hydraulic structures [M]. 3rd edition, London, UK: Taylor and Francis, 2001.Google Scholar
- Vischer D. L., Hager W. H. Dam hydraulics [M]. Chichester, UK: Wiley, 1998.Google Scholar
- Khatsuria R. M. Hydraulics of spillways and energy dissipators [M]. New York, USA: Dekker, 2005.Google Scholar
- LIU S. H. High speed flow [M]. Beijing, China: Science Press, 2005(in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Zhu Y. Q., Zhang F. X., Xu W. L. Research on hydraulic characteristics of flip bucket with tongue-type [J]. Science Technology and Engineering, 2004, 4(5): 397–403(in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Xue H. C., Diao M. J., Yue S. B. et al. 3-D numerical simulation of the jet nappe in the beveled flip bucket of the spillway [J]. Chinese Journal of Hydraulic Research, 2013, 44(6): 703–709(in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Qiu C., Liu C. L. 3D Dynamic numerical simulation of water flow in stilling basin with flaring gate pier [J]. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2014, 580–583: 1971–1974.Google Scholar