Investigation of punch resistance of the Allomyrira dichtoloma beetle forewing
- 5 Downloads
In this study, the punch resistance of the beetle forewing was investigated to address the ability of the forewing against the external force. The punch resistance of the forewing was measured for different sizes and sexes of beetles using a conventional testing method in conjunction with the Digital Image Correlation (DIC) technique. The results showed that the maximum fracture load was measured around 23 N for the female beetle and around 20.2 N for the male beetle in the front-side punch test. Moreover, the fracture load in the front-side punch test was higher than that in the back-side punch test for both male and female beetles. This means that the beetle forewing plays a protection role against external loads. Furthermore, the puncture energy in the front-side punch test for the female beetle (6.91 mJ) was a little higher than that for the male beetle (5.27 mJ). In addition, the DIC results revealed that the first crack occurred along the trachea line and the second crack then appeared in the direction that was perpendicular to the direction of the first crack. This study provides a comprehensive understanding of the mechanical protection properties of the beetle forewing and offers a good lesson for studying lightweight bio-inspired composite material.
Keywordsbeetle forewing punch test punch energy digital image correlation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP) (NRF-2016R1A2B4007443). The authors are grateful for the financial support.
- He C, Zu Q, Chen J, Noori M N. A review of the mechanical properties of beetle elytra and development of the biomimetic honeycomb plates. Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, 2015, 1099636215576881.Google Scholar
- Sun J Y, Tong J, Zhang Z J. Nanomechanical properties and the hierarchical structure of elytra cuticle of dung beetle (Copris ochus Motschulsky). International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, Changchun, China, 2009, 4277–4282.Google Scholar
- Hijazi A, Yardi N, Madhavan V, Determination of forming limit curves using 3D digital image correlation and in-situ observation. International SAMPE Symposium and Exhibition, Long Beach, USA, 2004, 16–20.Google Scholar
- Reu P L, Vangoethem D, Cordova T E. Measurement of steel plate perforation tests with digital image correlation. Experimental Mechanics Annual Conference, Albuquerque, USA, 2009.Google Scholar
- Sun J Y, Jin T, Chen D H, Lin J B. Micro-tensile testing of the lightweight laminated structures of beetle elytra cuticle. Advances in Natural Science, 2010, 3, 225–234.Google Scholar