Occurrence of cucumber mosaic virus subgroup II and its genetic diversity in Sichuan, southwest of China
Twenty-six leaf samples from Capsicum annuum, Solanum lycopersicum, Brassica campestris and Pisum sativum var. saccharatum plants were collected from different locations in Sichuan (China) during 2008–2016. Using RT-PCR and sequencing of the coat protein (CP) genes, 11 cucumber mosaic virus (CMV) subgroup II isolates were detected. The sequences of the 11 isolates compared with each other showed 98.63 to 99.54% identity. Phylogenetic analysis of the CP sequences revealed that all isolates clustered in the subgroup II and showed no host range specificity. This is the first report of the rising frequency of occurrence of CMV subgroup II isolates in Sichuan. The information of host diversity and the epidemic tendency of these CMV isolates presented in this study will provide the basis for disease control.
KeywordsCucumber mosaic virus Coat protein Subgroup II Genetic diversity
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31772131, 31270290 and 31171835).
- Hu Y, Shi HW, Jing CC, Li K, Sun XC, Zhou CY, Qing L (2016) First report of cucumber mosaic virus infecting apple in China. J Plant Pathol 98:181–181Google Scholar
- Li F, Zhou X, Chen H, Qi Y, Li D (2000) Detection of cucumber mosaic virus subgroup II isolate from tobacco plants in Yunnan province. Acta Microbiol Sin 40:346–351Google Scholar
- Tian ZF, Qiu JY, Liu WC, Yong-Dan LI (2004) CMV subgroup identification of sweet pepper in parts of China. Acta Phytopathologica Sinica 34:190–192Google Scholar
- Zhao D, Kong BH, Fan LI, Cai H, Wang LC, Chen HR (2007) Cloning and sequencing of CP gene of cucumber mosaic virus subgroup II isolated from lily (Lilium cv. Oriental hybrids). Acta Phytopathologica Sinica 37:456–460Google Scholar
- Zhao XJ, Liu SC, Li B, Zhao CG, Liu XX, Du LJ, Wei ZL, Qing L, Chen DX, Sun XC (2017) Study on strain differentiation of CMV and PVY in the main tobacco-planting areas in Sichuan province. J Southwest Univ (Nat Sci Ed) 39:8–16Google Scholar
- Zhu L, Xu ZP, Fei CY, Xi DH (2017) Characterization of a subgroup II isolate of cucumber mosaic virus from bitter gourd in China. J Plant Pathol 99:505–508Google Scholar