An investigation on energy consumption in residential building with different orientation: a BIM approach
- 11 Downloads
The present work targets to provide a simplified energy analysis to assess the influence of the orientation of the buildings. The energy savings mostly depends on the solar heat gain and more often local factors including social lifestyle. A multi-storied, multifamily residential house in Afghanistan is considered as case study. The first step in this analysis is to develop a 3D model of the building. The second step is to study the energy scenarios for different orientations through simulations. Then the energy analysis is performed. In this study taking the whole building as a unit for energy analysis, 24 test scenarios are considered by changing the building orientation 15° rotation each time including the actual orientation. It is observed from the analysis of data collected that a saving of $1393 from the best orientation (+ 315° clockwise) to the worst orientation (+ 165° clockwise). The simulated electricity demand is validated by taking the original bills of the actual orientation and it is observed the values are 2.65% greater than the simulated values.
KeywordsBuilding information modelling (BIM) Energy simulations Multi-family residential house Building orientation Sustainability
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- Abanda, F.H., & Cabeza, L. (2015). Investigating occupant’s behaviour using emerging building information modelling. In: the Proceedings of the ICSC15–The CSCE International Construction Specialty Conference, Vancouver, Canada, 2015, pp. 7–10.Google Scholar
- Al-Fahmawee, E. (2003). Analyzing the impact of floor height and building orientation on atria daylighting levels. Natural Science Series, 11(1), 75–88.Google Scholar
- Autodesk (2017). Autodesk Insight 360 | Revit Features. https://www.autodesk.in/products/revit-family/features/mep-engineering-and-fabrication/autodesk-insight-360. Accessed 5 Dec 2018.
- Bayer, C., Gamble, M., Gentry, R., et al. (2010). Guide to building life cycle assessment in practice (pp. 1–193). Washington: American Institute of Architects.Google Scholar
- Catalina, T., Virgone, J., & Iordache, V. (2011). Study on the impact of the building form on the energy consumption. In: Proceedings of Building Simulation 2011: 12th Conference of International Building Performance Simulation Association, pp. 1726–1729. http://www.ibpsa.org/proceedings/BS2011/P_1563.pdf.
- Davis, D. (2007). National Building Information Model Standard NBIMS. National BIM Standard (AEC Infosystems). http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Cku290YqgXoJ:portal.opengeospatial.org/files/%3Fartifact_id%3D20644+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in&client=firefox-b-d
- De Jong, M., Joss, S., Schraven, D., et al. (2015). Sustainable-smart-resilient-low carbon-eco-knowledge cities; making sense of a multitude of concepts promoting sustainable urbanization. Journal of Cleaner Production, 109, 25–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.02.004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eastman, C., Teicholz, P., Sacks, R., et al. (2011). BIM handbook: a guide to building information modeling for owners, managers, designers, engineers, and contractors. NJ, USA: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Fabris, P. (2010). BIM for home builders–professional builder. https://www.probuilder.com/bim-home-builders. Accessed 5 Dec 2018.
- Faizi, F., Noorani, M., Ghaedi, A., et al. (2011). Design an optimum pattern of orientation in residential complexes by analyzing the level of energy consumption (case study: Maskan Mehr complexes, Tehran, Iran). Procedia Engineering, 21, 1179–1187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.11.2128.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garcia, A. J., Ph, D., Mollaoglu, S., et al. (2018). Implementation of BIM in small home-building businesses, 23(1), 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)SC.1943-5576.0000362.Google Scholar
- GRAPHISOFT (2016). GRAPHISOFT Showcases ARCHICAD 19 Solo at NAHB/IBS 2016. https://www.graphisoft.com/info/news/press_releases/graphisoft-showcases-archicad-19-solo-at-nahb-ibs-2016.html. Accessed 5 Dec 2018.
- Green, E. (2016). ‘3 BIM Trends from the International Builders Show’ ENGINEERING.com. https://www.engineering.com/IOT/ArticleID/11441/3-BIM-Trends-from-the-International-Builders-Show.aspx. Accessed 5 Dec 2018.
- IBPSA USA (2017). ‘Building Energy Software Tools’ International Building Performance Simulation Association (IBPSA). https://www.buildingenergysoftwaretools.com/. Accessed 5 Dec 2018.
- IEA (2013). Technology roadmap: energy efficient building envelopes. IEA Publications: 68. http://www.iea.org/publications/%0Afreepublications/publication/TechnologyRoadmapEnergyEfficientBuilding%0AEnvelopes.pdf. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Lucas, S. (2017). How to choose a BIM collaborative App?-BIM/BIM collaboration. http://futurearchi.org/t/how-to-choose-a-bim-collaborative-app/354. Accessed 5 Dec 2018.
- NBIMS (2015). National BIM Standard-United States® Version 3: transforming the building supply chain through open and interoperable information exchanges. National Institute of Building Sciences buildingSMART alliance. http://www.nationalbimstandard.org/nbims-us. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- NBS (2015). National BIM Report 2015. https://www.thenbs.com/knowledge/nbs-national-bim-report-2015. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- NBS (2017). National BIM Report 2017. https://www.thenbs.com/knowledge/nbs-national-bim-report-2017. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- NBS (2018). The National BIM Report 2018. https://www.thenbs.com/knowledge/the-national-bim-report-2018. Accessed 10 Dec 2018.
- Reeves, T., Olbina, S., & Issa, R. (2012). Validation of building energy modeling tools: ecotect™, green building studio™ and IES < VE > ™. In: Proceedings of the 2012 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC) IEEE, pp. 582–593. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org.etechconricyt.idm.oclc.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=6465229&tag=1.
- Sengupta, N., Roy, S., & Guha, H. (2018). Assessing embodied GHG emission reduction potential of cost-effective technologies for construction of residential buildings of economically weaker section in India. Asian Journal of Civil Engineering, 19(2), 139–156. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42107-018-0013-8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- VA BIM STANDARD (2017). National Institute of Building Sciences. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs BIM Manual: 40. https://www.wbdg.org/ffc/va/bim-standards/bim-manual. Accessed 30 Nov 2018.
- Xu, X., Yuan, D., & Sha, H. (2012). Energy consumption simulation of the prototypical building for optimizing the orientation of building model in the simulated environment. EPS(Expanded polystyrene), 30, 0–42.Google Scholar
- Yoders, J. (2011). Technology report: building better with BIM-professional builder. https://www.probuilder.com/technology-report-building-better-bim. Accessed 5 Dec 2018.