Analysis of reinforced concrete rectangular slabs with three-sides supported under uniformly distributed load
- 3 Downloads
In this research paper, an analytical formulation is presented to predict the moment field of the laterally loaded three-sides supported RC rectangular slabs under the uniform area loading at top surface of the slab. It is also validated with the available published formulations. Design aids were formulated with the help of proposed analytical formulation and are presented here for quick calculations. These design aids were also validated with the help of finite element method based ATENA software.
KeywordsYield-line theory Moment coefficients Design aids Three sides supported slabs Ultimate load Finite element analysis Concrete Uniform distributed load
The authors received no financial support for the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
- ACI: Standard 318-08. (2008). Building code requirements for reinforced concrete. Detroit: American Concrete Institute.Google Scholar
- Baskaran, K., & Morley, C. T. (2004). Using yield line theory for interior panels of slabs. Institute of Civil Engineers ICE, 157(6), 395–404.Google Scholar
- BIS: IS 456 (4th Rev.). (2000). Plain and reinforced concrete-code of practice. Bureau of Indian Standards, India.Google Scholar
- Ingerslev, A. (1923). The strength of rectangular slabs. The Institution of Structural Engineers, 1(1), 3–14.Google Scholar
- Johansen, K. W. (1931). Beregning af krydsarmerede jernbetonpladers brudmoment. In Bygningsstatiske Meddelelser (In Danish) (Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 1–18).Google Scholar
- Johansen, K. W. (1943). Brudlinieteorier (English translation: Yield-line theory (p. 1962). London: Cement and Concrete Association.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, G. C. (2003). Practical yield line design. London: British Cement Association.Google Scholar
- Park, R., & Gamble, W. L. (2000). Reinforced concrete slabs. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Singh, H. (2014). Analytical investigation and design charts for rectangular reinforced concrete stiffened-plates. Engineering Mechanics, 21(4), 239–256.Google Scholar
- Singh, N. K., & Kumar, M. (2011). Prediction of collapse load of three-side-supported RC rectangular slabs: A simplified approach. The Indian Concrete Journal, 85(7), 21–29.Google Scholar