Analytical study on innovative VHS-steel section stub CFT columns
Very high strength steel (VHS) is implemented in structures to increase their load carrying capacity. This paper deals with finite element analysis of fabricated very high strength steel square and triangular stub concrete filled tubular (CFT) columns. Innovative design by attaching steel tubes at vertices was considered for this investigation. VHS steel of nominal yield of 1350 MPa was employed as material for tubes and facet plates. Post-peak behavior and failure pattern were compared with the experimental results and a parametric study was conducted to check the load–deflection behavior of samples with variation in B/T ratio. Likewise, effect of change of material properties was observed. Increasing thickness of steel tubes by 2% led to the spike in elastic yield in both square and triangular sections of about 3%. Solid deformable elements used for modeling steel encasing instead of shell elements produced more approximate realistic failure patterns. Change in material properties from mild steel to high-strength steel exhibits increase in elastic yield. Comparison with experimental results in literature reveals fair congruence.
KeywordsFinite element analysis Very high strength steel FSTS columns Stub column CFT Buckling
- ABAQUS 6.13 Documentation. (2013) ABAQUS users and the analysis users manual, Providence R.I.Google Scholar
- Aoki, T., & Ji, B. (2009). Experimental study on buckling strength of Tri-tube steel members (pp. 283–290). Lisbon Portugal: Third international conference on coupled instabilities in Metal Structures.Google Scholar
- HKS, Hibbit, Karlsson & Sorenson INC. (1996). ABAQUS theory manual version 5.6. Providence: HKS.Google Scholar
- Ivorra, S., Irles, R., Estevan, L., Adam, J.M., Pallarés, F.J., Ferrer, B. (2010). Drucker-Prager yield criterion application to study the behavior of CFRP confined concrete under compression. In: IXXXVII IAHS World Congress on Housing, October 26–29, 2010, Santander, Spain, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- Louis, H., Marincek, M., & Tall, L. (1962). Stub Column Test Procedure. In: International Institute of Welding Document X-282-61, Annual conference, Oslo.Google Scholar