Part 1: clinoptilolite–alumina–hydroxyapatite composites for biomedical engineering
- 143 Downloads
The preparation and characterization of bovine hydroxyapatite (BHA) and clinoptilolite–alumina composites are studied. Clinoptilolite (Cp) and aluminium oxide (Al2O3) (at varying concentrations 5, 10 and 15 wt% ) were added to calcinated BHA powder. Green cylindrical samples were sintered at several temperatures between 1000 and 1300 °C for 4 h in air. Compression strength, Vickers microhardness and elastic modulus, as well as density, were evaluated. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and X-ray diffraction (XRD) studies were also performed. The experimental results showed that varying concentrations 5, 10 and 15 wt% Cp–Al2O3 to BHA and difference in the sintering temperature between 1000 and 1300 °C increase in the microhardness (67 and 305 HV, respectively), compression strength (between 31 and 105.6 MPa, respectively) and elastic modulus (between 540 and 1275 MPa, respectively). The experimental results gained optimal parameters to be utilized in the preparation of BHA and Cp–Al2O3 composites. These natural Cp–Al2O3/BHA composites have the potential to be used in several advanced biomedical engineering applications.
KeywordsBovine hydroxyapatite Clinoptilolite Alumina Characterization Biocomposites
This study was supported by Istanbul University, Scientific Research Projects Coordination Unit, Project No: 29071.
- 7.Bogdanov, B., Georgiev, D., Angelova, K., Yaneva, K.: Natural zeolites: clinoptilolite, review. International science conference 4th -5th June 2009, Stara Zagora, Bulgaria. Economics and Society development on the Base of Knowledge. 4, 6–11 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Iqbal, N., Kadir, M.R.A., Mahmood, N.H.B., Yusoff, M.F.M., Siddique, J.A., Salim, N., Froemming, G.R.A., Sarian, M.N., Raghavendran, H.R.B., Kamarul, T.: Microwave synthesis, characterization, bioactivity and in vitro biocompatibility of zeolite–hydroxyapatite (Zeo–HA) composite for bone tissue engineering applications. Ceram Int. 40, 16091–16097 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Pavelić, K., Hadžija, M., Bedrica, L., Pavelić, J., Diki, I., Katić, M., Kralj, M., Bosnar, M.H., Kapitanović, S., Poljak-Blaži, M., Križanac, Š., Stojković, R., Jurin, M., Subotić, B., Čolić, M.: Natural zeolite clinoptilolite: new adjuvant in anticancer therapy. J Mol Med. 78, 708–720 (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Hoppe, A., Güldal, N.S., Boccaccini, A.R.: A review of the biological response to ionic dissolution products from bioactive glasses and glass-ceramics. ACS Biomater Sci Eng. 32, 2757–2774 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Bi, L., Rahaman, M.N., Day, D.E., Brown, Z., Samujh, C., Liu, X., Mohammadkhah, A., Dusevich, V., Eick, J.D., Bonewald, L.F.: Effect of bioactive borate glass microstructure on bone regeneration, angiogenesis, and hydroxyapatite conversion in a rat calvarial defect model. Acta Biomater. 9, 8015–8026 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Valério, P., Goes, A.M., Karaçaylı, U., Gunduz, O., Salman, S., Sengil, A.Z., Yılmaz, S., Agathopoulos, S., Oktar, F.N.: Influence of Boroxide Bioactive Bioglasses (BBB) on Osteoblast Viability, Biodental Engineering. CRC Press/Balkema, Leiden (2010)Google Scholar
- 19.Ebrahimi, M., Ebadzadeh, T., Salah, E.: Effect of sintering atmosphere on phase evolution of hydroxyapatite nanocomposite powders. Proceedings of the International Conference Nanomaterials: Applications and Properties, vol. 1, no. 2 (2012). 02NNBM05(3 pp)Google Scholar
- 21.Family, R., Solati-Hashji, M., Nik, S.N., Nemati, A.: Surface modification for titanium implants by hydroxyapatite nanocomposite. Caspian J Intern Med. 3(3), 460–465 (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.Karacayli, U., Gunduz, O., Salman, S., Ozyegin, L.S., Agathopoulos, S., Oktar, F.N.: Effect of sintering temperature on mechanical properties and microstructure of sheep-bone derived hydroxyapatite (SHA). 13. International Conference on Biomedical Engineering IFMBE Proceedings. 23, 1271–1274 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Demirkol, N.: Production and characterization of sheep hydroxyapatite composites, PhD; Istanbul Technical University Turkey (2013)Google Scholar