Priority-Based Resource Scheduling in Hybrid-Access LTE Femtocell
Femtocell technology is an emerging solution that is promising for improving indoor coverage problems and enhancing cell capacity. In a femtocell network, the overall system performance depends on the access method utilized, which specifies whether a specific user equipment can connect to the femtocell network. Three access methods are defined for long-term evolution (LTE) femtocell networks: open access, closed access and hybrid access. For fair and effective use of resources, hybrid access is preferred. Because some of the resources are shared among nonregistered users, it is essential to regulate their scheduling schemes. This study investigates resource scheduling for femtocell networks in hybrid access mode, which gives preferential access to the high-priority traffic of nonsubscribers. High-priority traffic metric (THP) is calculated for high-priority users, and low-priority traffic metric (TLP) is calculated for low-priority users. Then, individual sorted lists are formed for (THP) and (TLP). Nonsubscribers from the (THP) list are allocated initially, after which UEs from the (TLP) list are chosen for allocation based on resource availability, thereby increasing the overall average throughput of high-priority users in a network.
KeywordsLTE macrocell femtocell resource allocation scheduling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. S. Jo, P. Xia, J. G. Andrews. Open, closed and shared access femtocells in the downlink [J]. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2012, 2012(363): 1–16Google Scholar
- M. Iturralde, T. A. Yahiya, A. Wei, et al. Interference mitigation by dynamic self power control in femtocell scenarios in LTE network [C]//IEEE Global Communications Conference, Anaheim, 2012: 1–6Google Scholar
- H. S. Jo, J. G. Yook, C. Mu, et al. A self organized uplink power control for cross tier interference management in femtocell networks [C]//IEEE Military Communications Conference, San Diego, 2008: 1–6Google Scholar
- X. Tao, Z. Zhao, R. Li, et al. Downlink interference minimization in cooperative cognitive LTE femtocell networks [J]. EURASIP Journal onWireless Communications and Networking, 2013, 2013(194): 1–12Google Scholar
- Y. J. Zhang, S. W. Wang. Resource allocation for femtocell networks by using chance constrained optimization [C]//IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, New Orleans, 2015: 1805–1810Google Scholar
- P. Xia, V. Chandrasekhar, J. G. Andrews, et al. Femtocell access control in the TDMA/OFDMA uplink [C]//IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Miami, 2010: 1–5Google Scholar
- H. S. Jo, P. Xia, J. G. Andrews, et al. Downlink femtocell networks: open or closed [C]//IEEE International Conference on Communications, Kyoto, 2011: 1–5Google Scholar
- 3GPP. Tech. Specific. Group Radio Access Network—Physical Channel and Modulation (Release 8) [S]. 3GPP TS36.211Google Scholar
- J. Fan, Q. Yin, G. Y. Li, et al. MCS selection for throughput improvement in DLLTE system [C]//IEEE Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, Hawaii, 2011: 1–5Google Scholar