The 2780-nm Er,Cr:YSGG laser in endodontic treatment of teeth with iatrogenic root perforations: technique description and case series
A perforation consists of a communication between the periodontium and the root canal space. This may result from caries or resorptive defects but most commonly occur iatrogenically. Fuss et al. reported that 10% of failed endodontic cases are due to perforations occurring during root canal therapy .
Iatrogenic root perforations (IRP) of the coronal third often result whilst attempting to locate and open canals or during careless post-space preparation. Perforations of the middle third may occur due to overzealous instrumentation (strip perforations) but also during the pursuit of sclerotic canals using ultrasonic instruments. By its turn, apical perforations frequently occur when the clinician does not fully respect the apical anatomy during mechanical root canal preparation .
According to Kvinnsland et al., 73% of all IRP occur in the maxilla, 53% during insertion of posts, whilst 47% occur during routine endodontic treatment. In maxillary anterior teeth, the...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
We declare our authorship of the abovementioned case series. All the authors have contributed significantly and all are in agreement with the manuscript.
- 8.Roghanizad N, Fekrazad R, Kalhori KA, Khalilak Z, Esmaeili MA, de Fatima Zanirato Lizarelli R (2015) A comparison of Er, Cr: YSGG laser with ultrasonic preparation on the seal of retrograde cavities. Laser Ther 24(1):33–37. https://doi.org/10.5978/islsm.15-OR-04 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Bago Juric I, Plecko V, Anic I (2014) Antimicrobial efficacy of Er,Cr:YSGG laser-activated irrigation compared with passive ultrasonic irrigation and RinsEndo((R)) against intracanal Enterococcus faecalis. Photomed Laser Surg 32(11):600–605. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2014.3767 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Gordon W, Atabakhsh VA, Meza F, Doms A, Nissan R, Rizoiu I, Stevens RH (2017) The antimicrobial efficacy of the erbium, chromium:yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser with radial emitting tips on root canal dentin walls infected with Enterococcus faecalis. J Am Dent Assoc 138(7):992–1002CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kurtulmus-Yilmaz S, Yilmaz HG, Tumer H, Sadettinoglu K (2015) Clinical evaluation of the Er,Cr:YSGG laser therapy in the treatment of denture-related traumatic ulcerations: a randomized controlled clinical study. Photomed Laser Surg 33(4):224–229. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2014.3846 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Collares FM, Portella FF, Rodrigues SB, Celeste RK, Leitune VC, Samuel SM (2015) The influence of methodological variables on the push-out resistance to dislodgement of root filling materials: a meta-regression analysis. Int Endod J 49:836–849. https://doi.org/10.1111/iej.12539 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Nagas E, Kucukkaya S, Eymirli A, Uyanik MO, Cehreli ZC (2017) Effect of laser-activated irrigation on the push-out bond strength of ProRoot mineral trioxide aggregate and Biodentine in furcal perforations. Photomed Laser Surg 35(4):231–235. https://doi.org/10.1089/pho.2016.4171 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Raldi DP, Mello I, Neves AC, Habitante SM, Miyagi SS, Lage-Marques JL (2101) Attachment of cultured fibroblasts and ultrastructural analysis of simulated cervical resorptions treated with high-power lasers and MTA. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109(2):e154–e161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.09.021 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Rahimi S, Ghasemi N, Shahi S, Lotfi M, Froughreyhani M, Milani AS, Bahari M (2013) Effect of blood contamination on the retention characteristics of two endodontic biomaterials in simulated furcation perforations. J Endod 39(5):697–700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2013.01.002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Gorni FG, Andreano A, Ambrogi F, Brambilla E, Gagliani M (2016) Patient and clinical characteristics associated with primary healing of iatrogenic perforations after root canal treatment: results of a long-term Italian study. J Endod 42(2):211–215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2015.11.006 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Pourzarandian A, Watanabe H, Ruwanpura SM, Aoki A, Noguchi K, Ishikawa I (2005) Er:YAG laser irradiation increases prostaglandin E production via the induction of cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA in human gingival fibroblasts. J Periodontal Res 40(2):182–186. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.2005.00789.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar