An EOQ model for deteriorating items with different types of time-varying demand in healthcare industries
- 25 Downloads
Demand is the major factor of pharmaceutical inventory in Healthcare industries. The pharmaceutical inventory system in which the demand size is known is referred as a deterministic system. The pharmaceutical demand size may be fixed (static) or can vary (dynamic) from time to time. The dynamic inventory model for deteriorating items with different types of time-varying demand for Healthcare Industries is considered. The demand of the pharmaceutical inventory is dealing with three cases: (i) exponential time-varying demand (ii) stock-dependent demand and (iii) linear demand. The holding cost and deterioration rate of the pharmaceutical items are considered as a constant. The purpose of this study is to investigate the optimal replenishment time, economic order quantity and total cost of three different types of the proposed model. The main focus of this work is to get the minimum total cost of three kinds of variable demand and researching which one write gives the minimum (optimal) total cost for Healthcare Industries. Finally, the numerical examples are provided for three different types of demand to illustrate the solution procedure, and a sensitivity analysis of the optimal solution to three cases with respect to major parameters is carried out.
KeywordsDeteriorating items Economic order quantity Pharmaceutical inventory Time-varying demand
Mathematics Subject Classification90B05
We would like to sincerely thank the editor and two anonymous referees for their most valuable, constructive, innovative comments and suggestions that have encouraged the authors to make significant improvements in this paper. This research work is supported by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India under the Scheme of CSIR Research Project with CSIR/No. 25(0218)/13/EMR-II/Dated 05.09.2013.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Sheikh, S.R., and Raman Patel. 2016. Production inventory model with different deterioration rates under shortages and linear demand. International Refereed Journal of Engineering and Science 5 (3): 01–07.Google Scholar
- 5.Rathod, K.D., and P.H. Bhathawala. 2014. Inventory model with stock dependent demand rate and variable ordering cost and variable holding cost. International Journal of Scientific and Innovative Mathematical Research 2 (7): 637–641.Google Scholar
- 20.Goyal, Ankit Kumar, Anand Chauhan, and S.R. Singh. 2015. An EOQ inventory model with stock and selling price dependent demand rate, partial backlogging and variable ordering cost. International Journal of Agricultural and Statistical Science 11 (2): 441–447.Google Scholar
- 23.Uthayakumar, R., and S.K. Karuppasamy. 2017. A pharmaceutical inventory model for variable demand and variable holding cost with partially backlogged under permissible delay in payments in healthcare industries. International Journal of Applied and Computational Mathematics 3 (1): 327–341.MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Geetha, K., N. Anusheela, and A. Raja. 2016. An optimum inventory model for time dependent demand with shortages. International Journal of Mathematical Archive 7 (10): 99–102.Google Scholar