Rapid detection of Cucumber mosaic virus isolates representing distinct phylogenetic subgroups by reverse transcription, loop-mediated isothermal amplification
- 125 Downloads
Several outbreaks of Cucumber mosaic virus in cucurbit crops have been observed recently in Poland. Based on the phylogenetic analysis of the genes’ encoding movement and coat protein, Polish CMV isolates from zucchini were classified into two subgroups: IA and II. A reverse transcription, loop-mediated amplification method (RT-LAMP) was developed for rapid and effective detection of genetically diverse CMV isolates. RT-LAMP was performed with a set of six primers, the design of which was based on the coat protein gene. Positive effects of the RT-LAMP were visualized by direct staining of the reaction with fluorescent dyes, agarose gel electrophoresis, and analysis of the amplification curves in real-time conditions. The RT-LAMP method developed here was capable of the detection of diverse CMV isolates in less than 1 h. The sensitivity of RT-LAMP was tenfold higher than that of conventional RT-PCR.
KeywordsCMV Detection Genetic diversity RT-LAMP
This study was supported by the Project No. 2014/13/B/NZ9/02108 of the National Science Centre in Poland (to NBF).
- 1.Edwardson, J. R., & Christie, R. G. (1991). Cucumoviruses. CRC handbook of viruses infecting legumes (pp. 293–319). Boca Raton: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 3.Zitter, T. A., Murphy, J. F. Cucumber mosaic. The Plant Health Instructor. doi: 10.1094/PHI-I-2009-0518-01. http://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/intropp/lessons/viruses/Pages/Cucumbermosaic.aspx.
- 11.Jacquemond, M. (2012). Cucumber mosaic virus. Advance virus research, 84 (pp. 440–491). USA: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- 14.García-Arenal, F., & Palukaitis, P. (2008). Cucumber mosaic virus. In B. W. J. Mahy & M. H. V. van Regenmortel (Eds.), Desk encyclopedia of plant and fungal virology (pp. 171–176). Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- 15.Hasiów-Jaroszewska, B., Chrzanowski, M., Budzyńska, D., Rymelska, N., & Borodynko-Filas, N. (2017). Genetic diversity, distant phylogenetic relationships and the occurrence of recombination events among Cucumber mosaic virus isolates from zucchini in Poland. Archives of Virology. doi: 10.1007/s00705-017-3285-5.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Parida, M., Sannarangaiah, S., Dash, P. K., Rao, P. V., & Morita, K. (2008). Loop mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP): A new generation of innovative gene amplification technique; perspectives in clinical diagnosis of infectious diseases. Reviews in Medical Virology, 18, 407–421.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Keizerweerd, A., Chandra, A., & Grisham, M. P. (2015). Development of a reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) assay for the detection of Sugarcane mosaic virus and Sorghum mosaic virus in sugarcane. Journal of Virological Methods, 212, 23–29.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar