Telemental/Telebehavioral Health Competencies, Evaluation, and Outcomes Column
Telemental/telebehavioral health (TMH/TBH) is a mature, valid, reliable, and clinically effective way to practice healthcare (Hilty et al. 2013; American Telemedicine Association Practice Guidelines 2009, 2013). TMH is practiced by a wide range of MH fields—most commonly videoconferencing by stand-alone or Internet-based platforms. A review of TMH/TBH best practices was recently published (Luxton et al. 2016). Each profession has its own nomenclature for telehealth (e.g., telepsychiatry, telepsychology, distance counseling).
Behavioral health professional organizations have begun to conceptualize and define competencies for practice, and in some cases, these include telehealth competencies. Professions doing telepractice need to strive not only for a knowledge base but also a competency or skill base for practice. A consensus process is needed to facilitate the education, training, practice of individual and interdisciplinary TMH/TBH services. Although a number of professional...
- Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education. (2013). Common program requirements. Retrieved from https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/CPRs2013.pdf.
- Ohio Psychological Association. (2013). Areas of competence for psychologists in telepsychology. Retrieved at http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/ohpsych.org/resource/collection/ac67e033-f301-4661-8a8e-ece4aff1f040/Areas-of-Competence-for-Psychologists-in-Telepsychology.pdf?hhSearchTerms=%22Areas+and+Competence+and+Psychologists+and+Telepsych%22.
- American Telemedicine Association Practice Guidelines for Video-based Online Mental Health Services (2013). Retrieved from http://www.americantelemed.org/docs/default-source/standards/practice-guidelines-for-video-based-online-mental-health-services.pdf?sfvrsn=6.
- American Telemedicine Association Practice Guidelines for Videoconferencing-Based Telemental Health. (2009). Retrieved from http://www.americantelemed.org/docs/default-source/standards/practice-guidelines-for-videoconferencing-based-telemental-health.pdf?sfvrsn=6.
- Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards. (2014). Competencies expected of psychologists at the point of licensure. Peachtree City, GA. Retrieved from https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/asppb.site-ym.com/resource/resmgr/Guidelines/ASPPB_Competencies_Expected_.pdf.
- Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards. (2016). EPPP Step 2 announcement. Retrieved from http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.asppb.net/resource/resmgr/EPPP_2/EPPP_Step_2_Notification_Let.pdf
- Association of State Social Work Boards. (2015). Model regulatory standards for technology and social work practice. Retrieved from https://www.aswb.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ASWB-Model-Regulatory-Standards-for-Technology-and-Social-Work-Practice.pdf.
- Bloom, B., Engelhart, M., Furst, E., Hill, W., & Krathwohl, D. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives: the classification of educational goals. Handbook I: cognitive domain. New York: David McKay Company.Google Scholar
- Dreyfus, S. E., & Dreyfus, S. L. (1980). A five-stage model of the mental activities involved in directed skill acquisition. Retrieved from http://18.104.22.168:8081/fesz_website_2011/wp-content/medico/reestructuracion/3_dreyfus_s_e_and_dreyfus_h_l.pdf.
- Hilty, D., Crawford, A., Teshima, J., Chan, S., Sunderji, N., Yellowlees, P., Kramer, G., O'Neill, P., Fore, C., Luo, J., & Li, S. (2015). A framework for telepsychiatric training and ehealth: competency-based education, evaluation and implications. International Review of Psychiatry, 27(2), 569–592.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hoge, M. A., Morris, J. A., Laraia, M., Pomerantz, A., & Farley, T. (2014). Core competencies for integrated behavioral health and primary care. Washington, DC: SAMHSA - HRSA Center for Integrated Health Solutions Retrieved from http://www.integration.samhsa.gov/workforce/Integration_Competencies_Final.pdf Google Scholar
- Institute of Medicine. (2003). Health professions education: a bridge to quality. Washington, D.C: National Academies Press Retrieved from https://www.nap.edu/catalog/10681/health-professions-education-a-bridge-to-quality Google Scholar
- Interprofessional Education Collaborative Expert Panel. (2011). Core competencies for interprofessional collaborative practice: report of an expert panel. Washington: Interprofessional Education Collaborative.Google Scholar
- Luxton, D., Nelson, E., & Maheu, M. (2016). Telemental health best practices. Washington: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- Marrelli, A., Tondora, J., and Hoge, M. (2005). Strategies for developing competency models. Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 32(5/6), 533–561.Google Scholar
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, CanMEDS Framework. (2015). Retrieved from http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/canmeds/framework.
- U.S. Medical Licensing Examination. (2016). Step 2 CS clinical skills. Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and National Board of Medical Examiner. Retrieved from http://www.usmle.org/step-2-cs/.