Gender Wage Inequality and Economic Recession
- 96 Downloads
The Paper develops a two sector full employment general-equilibrium model for a small open developing economy, with both male and female labor. One sector produces low-skilled export commodity while other sector produces high skilled import competing commodity. The effects of world-wide economic recession on gender wage inequality have been examined in such an economy. The analysis concludes that low demand for high skilled commodity and/or low volume of foreign direct investment due to recession may aggravate the average gender wage inequality in the economy.
KeywordsMale labor Female labor Gender wage inequality Economic recession General equilibrium
JEL ClassificationD50 G01 J16
- Antonopoulos, R. 2009. The Current Economic and Financial Crisis:A Gender Perspective. The Levy Economics institute; Bard College: Working Paper No. 562.Google Scholar
- Chaudhuri, S. 2001b. Foreign capital inflow, non-traded intermediary, urban unemployment, and welfare in a small open economy: A theoretical analysis. The Pakistan Development Review 40 (3): 225–235.Google Scholar
- Chaudhuri, S. 2001. Foreign capital Inflow, technology transfer, and national income. The Pakistan Development Review 40 (1): 49–56.Google Scholar
- Corley, M., Perardel, Y., and K. Popova. 2005. Wage inequality by gender and occupation: a cross-country analysis, Employment Strategy Papers No. 20, International Labour Office.Google Scholar
- Emmett, B. 2009. Paying the price for economic crisis. Oxford: Oxfam international.Google Scholar
- Eurostat. 2010. http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/tgm/table.
- Global Wage report. 2012/13. Wages and equitable growth. Geneva: International Labour Office.Google Scholar
- ITUC. 2010. “Gender (in)equality in the labour market: an overview of global trends and developments”Google Scholar
- ITUC, International Trade Union Confederation Report 2011. Living with economic insecurity: Women in precarious work.Google Scholar
- Lindström, T. 2013. What are the effects of the financial crisis on Gender Inequality–the cof Greece. Lund University. Ph.D. thesis.Google Scholar
- Nandal: Paper is presented in the expert group meeting on Poverty eradication held in September 2010; Ethiopia.Google Scholar
- Podder, S., and Chaudhuri S. 2016. Economic reforms and gender-based wage inequality in the presence of factor market distortions. Journal of quantitative Economics Online version 12th February 2016.Google Scholar
- Seguino.,. 2009. The Global economic crisis, its gender implications, 5. United Nations, March: Fifty-Third Session of the Commission on the Status of Women.Google Scholar
- World Investment Report 2011. http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2011_en.pdf. Accessed 5 May 2016.
- World Investment Report 2014. http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2014_en.pdf. Accessed 5 May 2016.