Money back guarantee? A cost–benefit framework of performance-based agreements (PBAs) for the reimbursement of pharmaceuticals
The aim of this paper is to provide an empirical framework based on a discrete-time Markov chain to assess the costs and benefits of Performance Based Agreements (PBAs) for the reimbursement of pharmaceuticals. We provide an empirical testing using a case study referring to a treatment recently approved for reimbursement in Italy. The implementation of this framework is challenging for the agencies dealing with pricing and reimbursement decisions given the uncertainty associated with the treatment effectiveness and safety. On the other hand, empirical evidence shows that the awareness of the expected costs associated with different reimbursement schemes is necessary to inform decision-makers.
KeywordsPerformance Based Agreements Pricing and Reimbursement Pharmaceutical policy Cost-benefit Analysis Markov models
- Adamski, J., Godman, B., Ofierska-Sujkowska, G., Osińska, B., Herholz, H., Wendykowska, K., et al. (2010). Risk sharing arrangements for pharmaceuticals: Potential considerations and recommendations for European payers. BMC Health Services Research, 10, 153. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-10-153.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Associazione Italiana di Economia Sanitaria, gruppo di lavoro coordinato da Giovanni Fattore. (2009). Proposta di linee guida per la valutazione economica degli interventi sanitari. Politiche sanitarie, 10(2), 91–99.Google Scholar
- Espín, J., Rovira, J., & García, L. (2011). Experiences and impact of European risk-sharing schemes focusing on oncology medicines. EmiNet, Andalusian School of Public Health.Google Scholar
- Galizzi, M. M., Ghislandi, S., & Miraldo, M. (2011). Effects of reference pricing in pharmaceutical markets: A review. PharmacoEconomics, 29(1), 17–33. https://doi.org/10.2165/11537860-000000000-000000000.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garrison, L. P., Towse, A., Briggs, A., de Pouvourville, G., Grueger, J., Mohr, P. E., et al. (2013). Performance-based risk-sharing arrangements-good practices for design, implementation, and evaluation: Report of the ISPOR good practices for performance-based risk-sharing arrangements task force. Value in Health, 16(5), 703–719. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2013.04.011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jommi, C., Costa, E., Michelon, A., Pisacane, M., & Scroccaro, G. (2013). Multi-tier drugs assessment in a decentralised health care system. The Italian case-study. Health Policy, 112(3), 241–247.Google Scholar
- Jommi, C., & Minghetti, P. (2015). Pharmaceutical pricing policies in Italy. In Z.-U.-D. Babar (Ed.), Pharmaceutical prices in the 21st century (pp. 131–150). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lilico, A. (2003). Risk-sharing pricing models in the distribution of pharmaceuticals. Europe Economics Staff Working Paper (No. 1).Google Scholar
- Paris, V., & Belloni, A. (2013). Value in pharmaceutical pricing. OECD Health Working Paper No. 63. Paris, France. https://doi.org/10.1787/5k43jc9v6knx-en.
- Peiró, R. P., Ferrandiz, J. M., Sussex, J., Towse, A., & Economics, H. (2011). Literature review on patient access schemes, flexible pricing schemes and risk sharing agreements for medicines. In PPRI Conference, 29–30 September 2011. Vienna, Austria.Google Scholar
- Russo, P., Mennini, F. S., Siviero, P. D., & Rasi, G. (2010). Time to market and patient access to new oncology products in Italy: A multistep pathway from European context to regional health care providers. Annals of Oncology, 21(10), 2081–2087. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq097.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- UK Department of Health. Patient access schemes and flexible pricing: statement of outcomes from the review of the pricing flexibility measures under Chapter 6 of the 2009 PPRS. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/146829/dh_132794.pdf. Accessed August 28, 2014.
- Wonder, M., Backhouse, M. E., & Sullivan, S. D. (2012). Australian managed entry scheme: a new manageable process for the reimbursement of new medicines? Value in Health: The Journal of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research, 15(3), 586–590. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2012.02.004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar