Do political risks matter in the financial markets?: evidence from Turkey
- 208 Downloads
Understanding political risk and its effect on financial markets is an important issue for both policymakers and investors, as capital flow tends to be confidence-based across financial markets. Using both dollar-based monthly returns from the BIST100 index and the total political risk rating, including four political risk subcomponents, for the period of January 1997 to June 2013, this paper investigates the long-term relationship between financial markets and political risk in Turkey applying cointegration tests and causality tests to data obtained from Borsa Istanbul (BIST) and the International Country Risk Guide (ICRG). Our findings indicate that, a long-term relationship of equilibrium exists between financial markets and political risks in Turkey, revealing the importance of considering political conditions when making decisions regarding financial markets in Turkey. The research is expected to contribute to the literature, especially in the context of trading in emerging financial markets and how political acts reflect financial markets, as shown by the evidence from Turkey.
KeywordsFinancial markets Cointegration test Causality test Borsa Istanbul Political risks
JEL ClassificationC32 E44 G10 P48
- Abdul-Qadir, A. B., & Yaroson, E. (2013). Does corruption matter in the development of the stock market in Nigeria? ESUT Journal of Accountancy, 4(1), 1–20.Google Scholar
- Ada, S.S., Bolak, M., Suer, O. (2013). Politik secimler, referandumlar ve hisse senedi getirileri: İMKB ornegi. Finans Politik & Ekonomik Yorumlar Dergisi, 50(579), 23–40. (In Turkish with Ênglish abstract) Google Scholar
- Bekaert, G., Harvey, C.R., Lundblad, C.T., Siegel, S. (2012). Political risk and international valuation, http://www.academia.edu/2686889/Political_Risk_and_International_Valuation. Accessed 08 April 2016.
- BIST (2014). Borsa Istanbul for investors, http://www.borsaistanbul.com/data/kilavuzlar/Borsa_Istanbul_For_Investors.pdf. Accessed 18 March 2016.
- BIST.(2016). http://www.borsaistanbul.com/en/. Accessed 25 April 2016.
- Brealey, R. A., Myers, S. C., & Marcus, A. J. (2001). Fundamentals of corporate finance (3rd ed.). USA: McGraw-Hill Primis Custom Publishing.Google Scholar
- Buyukakin, F., Bozkurt, H., Cengiz, V. (2009). Türkiye’de parasal aktarımın faiz kanalının Granger nedensellik ve Toda-Yamamota yöntemleri ile analizi. Erciyes Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, (33), 101–118. (In Turkish with Ênglish abstract) Google Scholar
- Christofis, N., Kollias, C., Papadamou, S., & Stagiannis, A. (2013). Istanbul Stock Market’s reaction to terrorist attacks. Dogus Universitesi Dergisi, 14(2), 153–164.Google Scholar
- Dutta, N. (2009). Three essays on political economy, economic development and capital flows, Dissertation, West Virginia University, College of Business and Economics, USA.Google Scholar
- Finnerty, J. D. (2011). Securitizing political risk ınsurance: lessons from past securitizations. In T. H. Moran (Ed.), International political risk management, exploring new frontiers (pp. 77–147). USA: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Fitzsimons, E., Sun, M. (2012). An exploration of: How political risk components affect the stock return and volatility considering different countries of varying economic development. Ekonomihögskolan Lunds Universitet, http://lup.lub.lu.se/luur/download?func=downloadFile&recordOId=2628691&fileOId=2628692. Accessed 19 May 2016.
- Frankel, J.A., MacArthur, A.T. (1987). Political vs. currency premia in international real interest differentials: A study of forward rates for 24 countries. NBER Working Paper Series, No: 2309, http://www.nber.org/papers/w2309. Accessed 30.01.2017.
- Gujarati, D.N. (2009). Temel ekonometri (6th. Ed.). U.Senesen and G. Gunluk Senesen (Translators), Istanbul, Turkey: Literatur Yayinlari. (In Turkish) Google Scholar
- Gul, S., Khan, M.T., Saif, N., Rehman, U.R., Roohullah, S. (2013). Stock market reaction to political events (evidence from Pakistan). Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 4(1), 165-175. http://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEDS/article/view/4115/4136. Accessed 29 April 2016.
- He, H. (1999). Political risk and stock returns: the case of Hong Kong, Dissertation, University of Hawai’i, Graduate Division of Economics, USA.Google Scholar
- Henderson, S., Rodriguez, I.G. (2008). Sensitivity of equity returns to political risk premiums. http://lup.lub.lu.se/luur/download?func=downloadFile&recordOId=1335021&fileOId=1646656. Accessed 08 April 2016.
- ICRG, https://www.prsgroup.com/countrydata.aspx. Accessed 25 February 2014.
- ICRG, List of all variable definitions, http://epub.prsgroup.com/list-of-all-variable-definitions. Accessed 17 February 2016.
- IHS Global Inc. (2013). Eviews 8 User’s Guide II, http://www.eviews.com/EViews8/EViews8/EViews%208%20Users%20Guide%20II.pdf. Accessed 24 April 2016.
- Johansen, S. (1988). Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 12, 293–300, http://nhjy.hzau.edu.cn/kech/hgjjx/Article/UploadFiles/tese/xuexiziyuan/jdwxxd/lwl/12.pdf. Accessed 24 April 2016.
- Johansen, S., Juselius, K. (1990). Maximum likelihood estimation and inferences on cointegration with applications to the demand for money. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 52, 169–210, http://down.cenet.org.cn/upfile/58/20081012135145190.pdf. Accessed 24 April 2016.
- Keles, C. (2007). Siyasi riskin finansal yansımaları üzerine bir çalışma. Dissertation, Ankara University, Institute of Social Sciences, Ankara. (In Turkish with Ênglish abstract) Google Scholar
- Loikas, A. (2003). A government analysis of political risk: Exploring equilibrium, instability and pluralism at the local, national and supranational level in Europe. Turku School of Economics and Business Administration, https://www.doria.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/99355/Ae4_2003.pdf?sequence=2. Accessed 25 April 2016.
- Mei, J. (JP) (1999). Political risk, financial crisis and market volatility. NYU Working Paper, No. S-MF-99-08.Google Scholar
- Mutan, O.C, Topcu, A.(2009). Turkiye Hisse Senedi Piyasasinin 1990-2009 Tarihleri Arasinda Yasanan Beklenmedik Olaylara Tepkisi, Sermaye Piyasasi Kurulu Arastirma Raporu, Working Paper No. OCM 2009/01, AT 2009/01, http://www.spk.gov.tr/yayingoster.aspx?yid=1012&ct=f&action=displayfile. Accessed 30 Jan 2017. (In Turkish)
- Pastor, L., Veronesi, P. (2012). Political uncertainty and risk premia. NBER Working Papers, No.17464, USA: National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- Sanlisoy, S., Kök, R. (2010). Politik istikrarsızlık-ekonomik büyüme ilişkisi: Türkiye örneği (1987–2006). Dokuz Eylül Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 25(1), 101–125. (In Turkish with Ênglish abstract) Google Scholar
- SPK (2016). Uluslararası Ekonomik ve Finansal Göstergeler, http://www.spk.gov.tr/apps/ad/AylikPeriyodikDokumanlar.aspx?pdt=PERD02&submenuheader=-1. Accessed 25 April 2016. (In Turkish)
- Stockman, A.C., Dellas, H. (1984). Asset markets, tariffs, and political risk. NBER Working Paper Series, No: 1413, http://www.nber.org/papers/w1413. Accessed 30.01.2017.
- Tari, R. (2014). Ekonometri (9th ed.). Kocaeli, Turkey: Umuttepe Yayınları. (In Turkish) Google Scholar
- Toptas, M. (1996). Doğrudan yabancı yatırımlar ve analizi. Dissertation, Ankara University, Institute of Social Sciences, Ankara, Turkey. (In Turkish with Ênglish abstract) Google Scholar
- Tuncay, M. (2014). Finansal Piyasalardaki Sermaye Varlıklarının Değerlemesinde Politik Risklerin Etkisi: Türkiye Uygulaması. Dissertation, Cumhuriyet University, Institute of Social Sciences, Sivas, Turkey. (In Turkish with Ênglish abstract) Google Scholar
- World Bank (2014). http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/CM.MKT.LCAP.GD.ZS. Accessed 25 July 2014.
- Yapraklı, S., Gungor, B. (2007). Ulke riskinin hisse senedi fiyatlarına etkisi: IMKB100 endeksi üzerine bir araştırma. Ankara Üniversitesi Siyasal Bilgiler Fakültesi Dergisi, 62(2), 200–218. (In Turkish with Ênglish abstract) Google Scholar
- Yartey, C.A. (2008). The determinants of stock market development in emerging economies: Is South Africa different?. IMF Working Paper, WP/08/32, https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2008/wp0832.pdf. Accessed 29 April 2016.