The Puzzle of Behavioral Choice or How Organisms Channel Their Evolution: a Review of Rui Diogo’s Evolution Driven by Organismal Behavior: A Unifying View of Life, Function, Form, Mismatches, and Trends
“Humans seem to be stuck in a persistent, monotonic behavior in which they cannot voluntarily give up/decrease their investments in technology, thus leading to a scenario in which technology, consumption patterns, overpopulation, and pollution are beginning to critically put at risk the global ecosystem. If this proves true, it would be a major, disastrous case of etho-ecological mismatch (Diogo 2017).”
Rui Diogo’s new book is not only a brilliant collection of theoretical and empirical data on biological evolution but also an attempt to provide an empirically based explanation for the two most “difficult” phenomena in the theory of evolution. Specifically, the long-term macroevolutionary trends leading to morphological novelties and the common occurrence of etho-ecological, eco-morphological, and etho-morphological mismatches are the focus of the book. According to Diogo, these phenomena can be explained if behavioral choice and behavioral persistence of organisms are considered...
- Benjamin, J. S., Pilarowski, G. O., Carosso, G. A., Zhang, L., Huso, D. L., Goff, L. A., Vernon, H. J., Hansen, K. D., & Bjornsson, H. T. (2017). A ketogenic diet rescues hippocampal memory defects in a mouse model of Kabuki syndrome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 114(1), 125–130. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1611431114.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dyakonova, V. E. (2015). On the costs of cognitive functions. Russian Journal of Cognitive Science, 2, 70–77.Google Scholar
- Hazen, J. L., Faust, G. G., Rodriguez, A. R., Ferguson, W. C., Shumilina, S., Clark, R. A., Boland, M. J., Martin, G., Chubukov, P., Tsunemoto, R. K., Torkamani, A., Kupriyanov, S., Hall, I. M., & Baldwin, K. K. (2016). The complete genome sequences, unique mutational spectra, and developmental potency of adult neurons revealed by cloning. Neuron, 89(6), 1223–1236. doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2016.02.004.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Krushinsky, A. L. (2015). The cost of problem solving: biophysical background and probable evolutionary consequences. The Russian Journal of Cognitive Science, 2, 52–61 Russian.Google Scholar
- Mita, K., Okuta, A., Okada, R., Hatakeyama, D., Otsuka, E., Yamagishi, M., Morikawa, M., Naganuma, Y., Fujito, Y., Dyakonova, V., Lukowiak, K., & Ito, E. (2014). What are the elements of motivation for acquisition of conditioned taste aversion? Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 107, 1–12. doi: 10.1016/j.nlm.2013.10.013.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar