Cyclic Tensile Loading Test for a Quartz Fiber Cable of a Deployable Antenna Reflector on Satellite
- 64 Downloads
Cyclic tensile tests were performed to evaluate the mechanical performance of a quartz fiber cable assembly that is part of the mesh and cable network system of a deployable antenna reflector. The cable assembly was a non-twisted quartz fiber yarn covered with a Nomex knitted fiber tube, and both ends were bent back to form loops. The cable assembly demonstrated nonlinear tensile behavior in the first cycle, which caused a large residual displacement after unloading. In the following cycles, relatively linear tensile behavior was observed. However, displacement at the maximum allowable loading, i.e., incremental displacement, increased with increasing number of cycles. The quartz fiber cable assembly was divided into a straight segment and a loop segment, and those were tested individually. The loop segment showed nonlinear tensile behavior. The incremental displacement of the loop segment was almost the same as that of the cable assembly. Cross-sectional observation of the loop segment revealed that incremental displacement developed due to flattening of the cable at the loading points. Total displacement due to flattening of the cable was consistent with the incremental displacement of the cable assembly.
KeywordsDeployable structure Antenna reflector Quartz fiber Cable Mesh
The authors sincerely appreciate the cooperation of NEC Space Technologies. This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
- 10.Higuchi K, Kishimoto N, Meguro A, Tanaka H, Yoshihara M, Iikura S (2009) Structure of high precision large deployable reflector for space VLBI (Very Long Baseline Interferometry). In Proceedings of 50th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA 2009–2609Google Scholar
- 11.Saito H, Sasaki S, Higuchi K, Kishimoto N, Takeuchi H, Yoshihara K, Asaki Y, Tsuboi M, Murata Y, Kobayashi H (2010) Advanced space technologies in space science missions -Space VLBI mission ASTRO-G project as an example. Trans Japan Soc Aeronaut Space Sci, Aero Tech Japan 8:To_4_33–To_4_41Google Scholar
- 12.Goto K, Kii T, Yoshimura K, Ishimura K, Komatsu K, Higuchi K, Maruyama T, Ikeda Y, Matsumoto K, Yoshihara M, Tsuchiya M (2011) Long term durability of a rib and cable tensioned structure for high accuracy large deployable antenna reflector. In Proceedings of 28th International Symposium on Space Technology and Science, c-12Google Scholar
- 13.Ueda M, Shiozaki R, Goto K, Koyanagi J (2014) Tensile behavior of a quartz cable for deployable large precise space structure under cyclic load. Trans Japan Soc Aeronaut Space Sci, Aero Tech Japan 12:Tc_7–Tc_12Google Scholar
- 14.Quartzel (2007) Saint-Gobain Quartz S.A.S. Kossuth, Paris, SM-A4-ENGoogle Scholar