An Investigation on Hot Corrosion Behaviour of Cermet Coatings in Simulated Boiler Environment
- 14 Downloads
In this research work, hot corrosion behaviour of different Cr3C2–NiCr coatings has been investigated. The coatings were deposited on commercially available boiler tube steel with high velocity oxy fuel thermal spraying technique. The uncoated and coated specimens were exposed to elevated temperature in a silicon tube furnace at 700 °C in molten salt environment. The thermogravimetric technique was used to compare the corrosion resistance of different coatings for 50 cycles at high temperature. The microstructures of exposed specimens were evaluated with X-ray diffraction and scanning electron microscopy with elemental compositional analysis. 10Cr3C2–90NiCr and 20Cr3C2–80NiCr coatings provided the higher resistance to corrosion as compared to 100NiCr and 35Cr3C2–65NiCr. The formation of chromium carbide layer on the coated surface and this layer protect them from corrosion.
KeywordsCorrosion Boiler Steel Coating Temperature
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Goyal K, Singh H, Bhatia R (2016) Current status of thermal spray coatings for high temperature corrosion resistance of boiler steel. J Mater Metall Eng 6(1):29Google Scholar
- 17.Chawla V, Puri D, Prakasha S, Chawla A, Sidhu BS (2009) Characterization and comparison of corrosion behavior of nanostructured TiAlN and AlCrN coatings on superfer 800H (INCOLOY 800 H) substrate. J Miner Mater Charact Eng 8(09):715Google Scholar
- 21.Doolabi MS, Ghasemi B, Sadrnezhaad S, Habibollahzadeh A, Jafarzadeh K (2017) Hot corrosion behavior and near-surface microstructure of a “low-temperature high-activity Cr-aluminide” coating on inconel 738LC exposed to Na2SO4, Na2SO4 + V2O5 and Na2SO4 + V2O5 + NaCl at 900° C. Corros Sci 128:42CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Karthikeyan J, Sreekumar K, Venkatramani N, Rohatgi V (1988) Preparation and characterization of plasma-sprayed thick ceramic coatings reinforced with metal pins. High Temp High Press 20(6):653Google Scholar
- 36.Manikandan DWM (2018) High-temperature corrosion behaviour of HVOF sprayed Cr3C2-25NiCr coated on alloy X22CrMoV12-1 at 600 °C. J Therm Spray Eng 1(1):7Google Scholar