An Environmentally Friendly Approach Towards Mitigation of Al Corrosion in Hydrochloric Acid by Yellow Colour Ripe Arecanut Husk Extract: Introducing Potential and Sustainable Inhibitor for Material Protection
- 27 Downloads
The effect of extracts of yellow colour ripe arecanut husk on the inhibition of Al corrosion in 0.5 M HCl solution was examined through weight loss and electrochemical techniques. Weight loss results show that yellow colour ripe arecanut husk extract acts as a good adsorption green corrosion inhibitor for Al metal in 0.5 M HCl solution. The protection efficiency of the inhibitor varied with the inhibitor concentration. The protective action of the yellow colour ripe arecanut husk extract increased with the increase in its amounts in 0.5 M HCl solution. The Langmuir isotherm model shows that yellow colour ripe arecanut husk extract inhibits the Al corrosion in 0.5 M HCl solution by adsorption mechanism. Tafel curves proved that yellow colour ripe arecanut husk extract is mixed-type inhibitor. Results of Nyquist curves confirmed that adsorption of yellow colour ripe arecanut husk extract species led to a enhance in charge transfer resistance values and decrease in the values of double-layer capacitance. Both scanning electron microscopy and atomic force microscopy techniques are used to examine the Al surface morphology without and with the yellow colour ripe arecanut husk extract.
KeywordsYellow colour ripe arecanut husk extract Weight loss Protection efficiency Langmuir adsorption model Nyquist plot
The authors (N. Raghavendra and J. Ishwara Bhat) are most grateful to Dr. B. E Kumaraswamy, Kuvempu University, for an electrochemical instrument facility.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 7.Nnanna LA, Onwuagba BN, Mejeha IM, Okeoma KB (2010) Inhibition effects of some plant extracts on the acid corrosion of aluminium alloy. Afr J Pure Appl Chem 4:11–16Google Scholar
- 8.Rosaline Vimala J, Leema Rose A, Raja S (2011) Cassia auriculata extract as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acid medium. Int J ChemTech Res 3:1791–1801Google Scholar
- 13.Gusti DR, Emriadi, Alif A, Efdi M (2017) Corrosion inhibition of ethanol extract of cassava (manihot esculenta) leaves on mild steel in sulfuric acid. Int J ChemTech Res 10:163–171Google Scholar
- 15.Yadav S, Choudhary G, Sharma A (2013) Green approach to corrosion inhibition of aluminium and copper by ziziphus mauritiana fruit extract in hydrochloric acid solution. Int J ChemTech Res 5:1815–1823Google Scholar
- 23.Nagaraja R, Gurumurthy BR, Shivanna MB (2014) Bio softening of arecanut waste areca husk, leaf and leaf sheath for value added compost. Int J Res Appl Nat Soc Sci 2:105–112Google Scholar
- 24.Govindarajan VS (1968) Arecanut growing in north east India. Indian Farming 18:26–30Google Scholar
- 25.Nayar A (1997) The metals databook. Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi. ISBN 0070460884Google Scholar
- 26.Fontana MG (1987) Corrosion engineering. McGraw Hill, SingaporeGoogle Scholar