The Troubled Russia–China Partnership as a Challenge to the East Asian Peace
- 118 Downloads
With the annexation of the Crimea and the engagement in confrontation with the West, Russia has embarked on a course of making the military force into a useful instrument of policy. Moscow has effectively sacrificed the goals of modernization and development for the sake of geopolitical ambitions. The question about the price of Russia’s revisionist enterprise is relevant for many states that are not satisfied with the unfair and often discriminating rules of the world order, first of all China. Russia hopes to inspire other states dissatisfied with the “unipolar” world order to challenge the West more boldly, but the result of its assault on the principles of nonintervention and territorial integrity might work in the opposite way. The states of East Asia could take a good measure of the risk inherent to embarking on the course of projecting power at the expense of modernization and become even more committed than before to upholding their unique prosperity-producing peace. China has a vested interest in Russian internal stability and must be worried by the prospect of a post-Putin crisis.
KeywordsEast Asia Peace Russia China Conflict Partnership
Support for our research from the Norwegian Ministry of Defense is deeply appreciated.
- Arbatov, Alexei. 2015. The first strike trap. Commentary, Carnegie Moscow Center, 16 November. http://carnegie.ru/commentary/2015/11/16/first-strike-trap/ilxl.
- Arbatov, Alexei. 2016. Russia and the arms race. Nezavisimaya gazeta, 26 April. http://www.ng.ru/scenario/2016-04-26/13_race.html (in Russian).
- Arkhipov, Ilya, and Henry Meyer. 2015. Putin’s quagmire in Syria proves Obama prescient. Bloomberg, 9 December. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-09/putin-proves-obama-prescient-on-syria-as-russia-faces-quagmire-ihzauuvr.
- Astakhova, Olesya, and Chen Aizhu. 2016. Russia likely to scale down China gas supply plans. Reuters, January 15. http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-russia-china-gas-exclusive-idUKKCN0UT1M0.
- Baev, Anton. 2016. Russia could have spent some 38 billion roubles on the Syrian operation. RBC.ru, March 15. http://www.rbc.ru/politics/15/03/2016/56e7f5619a794767f0378583 (in Russian).
- Baev, Pavel K. 2015a. Ukraine: A test for Russian military reform. Focus Strategique no. 56, Paris: IFRI, May. https://www.ifri.org/fr/publications/enotes/focus-strategique/ukraine-test-russian-military-reforms.
- Baev, Pavel K. 2015b. Putin’s pivot to China: Profit-free but problem-rich. Eurasia Daily Monitor, 31 August. http://www.jamestown.org/single/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=44308&no_cache=1#.Vzs97b51d_k.
- Barry, Ellen. 2010. With visit, Russia reinforces its custody of islands, angering Japan. New York Times, 1 November. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/world/asia/02Kurils.html?_r=0.
- Bashkanova, Anastasiya. 2015. Instead of oil, Russia places the stake on armaments. Nezavisimaya gazeta, 27 October. http://www.ng.ru/economics/2015-10-27/1_serbia.html (in Russian).
- Blagov, Sergei. 2015. Russia takes hard-line stance on the territorial dispute with Japan. Asia times, 23 August. http://atimes.com/2015/08/russia-takes-hard-line-stance-on-territorial-dispute-with-japan/.
- Blank, Stephen. 2015. Russia’s game in Southeast Asia. Eurasia Daily Monitor, 29 April. http://www.jamestown.org/programs/edm/single/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=43850&tx_ttnews[backPid]=786&no_cache=1#.Vzv3rL51d_k.
- Bondanella, Peter, and Mark Musa. 1979. The Portable Machiavelli. New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Buszynski, Leszek. 1986. Soviet Foreign Policy and Southeast Asia. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Chow, Edward C. 2015. Russia–China gas deal and redeal. Commentary, Washington: CSIS, 11 May. http://csis.org/publication/russia-china-gas-deal-and-redeal.
- Czuperski, Maksymilian, John Herbst, Eliot Higgins, Alina Polyakova, and Damon Wilson, 2015. Hiding in Plain Sight: Putin’s War in Ukraine, Washington DC: The Atlantic Council, October. http://www.atlanticcouncil.org/publications/reports/hiding-in-plain-sight-putin-s-war-in-ukraine-and-boris-nemtsov-s-putin-war.
- Daly, John C.K. 2014. Russian Pacific Fleet receives new ships, missions. Eurasia Daily Monitor, 12 March. http://www.jamestown.org/single/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=42082&no_cache=1#.VlHghb_YFBw.
- Dower, John. 1991. Embracing defeat: Japan in the wake of World War II. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Felgengauer, Pavel. 2015. The Judgement day torpedo. Novaya gazeta, 15 November. http://www.novayagazeta.ru/comments/70744.html (in Russian).
- Gabuev, Alexander. 2015a. A reality check for Russia’s China pivot. Vedomosti, 29 September 2015, English translation in. http://carnegie.ru/2015/09/29/reality-check-for-russia-s-china-pivot/ijr3.
- Gabuev. Alexander. 2015b. Sino–Russian trade after a year of sanctions. Commentary, Carnegie Moscow Center, 11 September. http://carnegie.ru/2015/09/11/sino-russian-trade-after-year-of-sanctions/ijyx.
- Gabuev, Alexander. 2015c. Asia is not aware: Russia tries to integrate into the Asia–Pacific inter-state structures. Security Index, vol. 21, no 3 (114), pp. 67–80. http://www.pircenter.org/articles/1969-aziya-ne-v-kurse-ili-kak-rossiya-pytaetsya-integrirovatsya-v-mnogostoronnie-struktury-atr (in Russian).
- Gabuev, Alexander 2016. A pivot to nowhere: The realities of Russia’s Asia Policy. Commentary, Carnegie Moscow Center, 22 April 2016. http://carnegie.ru/commentary/2016/04/22/pivot-to-nowhere-realities-of-russia-s-asia-policy/ixfw.
- Gady, Franz-Stefan. 2016. Confirmed: 2nd ballistic missile sub joins Russia’s Pacific Fleet. The Diplomat, 28 September. http://thediplomat.com/2016/09/confirmed-2nd-ballistic-missile-sub-joins-russias-pacific-fleet/.
- Gaiduk, Ilya V. 1996. The Soviet Union and the Vietnam War. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, Lyle J. 2016. Watch out: China and Russia are working together at sea. The National Interest, April 13. http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/watch-out-china-russia-are-working-together-sea-15767.
- Grivach, Alexei, 2014. The window into Asia, Russia in Global Affairs, 2 June. http://www.globalaffairs.ru/number/Okno-v-Aziyu-16777 (in Russian).
- Haenle, Paul, and Anne Sherman. 2016. Finding the right answer to China’s THAAD dilemma. The Japan times, 19 September. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2016/09/19/commentary/world-commentary/finding-right-answer-chinas-thaad-dilemma/#.WCXetSRrN_k.
- Huard, Paul Richard. 2015. Russia’s blast from the past: Beware the Tu-95 Bear strategic bomber. The National Interest, 22 August. http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-blast-the-past-beware-the-tu-95-bear-strategic-13669.
- Inozemtsev, Vladislav. 2014. We have long become addicted to the Chinese needle, interview with Novaya gazeta, 17 October. http://www.novayagazeta.ru/economy/65738.html (in Russian).
- Jones, Nate ed. 2013. The 1983 War Scare: “The Last Paroxysm” of the Cold War. National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Book No. 426. http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB426/.
- Karaganov, Sergei. 2015. The Eurasian promise: China’s turn to the West is good for Russia. Rossiiskaya gazeta, 26 October. http://www.rg.ru/2015/10/26/karaganov.html (in Russian).
- Kashin, Vassily. 2015a. Selling S-400s to China: A new front in the Cold War? Commentary, Moscow Carnegie Center, 27 April. http://carnegie.ru/2015/04/27/selling-s-400s-to-china-new-front-in-cold-war/ik1m.
- Kashin, Vassily. 2015b. China’s Grand Military Reform: What will it be like? Analysis, Russian International Affairs Council, 11 September. http://russiancouncil.ru/en/inner/?id_4=6556#top-content.
- Khramchihin, Alexander. 2016. China is a virtual ally. Nezavisimoe voennoe obozrenie, 29 April. http://nvo.ng.ru/gpolit/2016-04-29/1_china.html (in Russian).
- Korostikov, Mikhail. 2016. The high-level connection: One year of implementing the agreement on cooperation between Eurasian Economic Union and Silk Road Economic Belt. Kommersant-Vlast, May 9. http://kommersant.ru/doc/2978877 (in Russian).
- Koval, Vadim. 2015. On one side of the continent. Nezavisimoe voennoe obozrenie, 5 June. http://nvo.ng.ru/concepts/2015-06-05/3_atr.html (in Russian).
- Kozlov, Valentin. 2009. Time to return to Cam Ranh. Nezavisimoe voennoe obozrenie, 22 May. http://nvo.ng.ru/history/2009-05-22/1_kamran.html (in Russian).
- Krylov, Maxim. 2016. What “new approach” to the Kurils have Putin and Abe agreed upon. Commentary, Carnegie.ru, 11 May. http://carnegie.ru/commentary/2016/05/11/ru-63547/iy56 (in Russian).
- Lain, Sarah, and Veerle Nouwens. 2016. What’s behind the Sino-Russian exercises in the South China Sea? RUSI Commentary, 22 September. https://rusi.org/commentary/whats-behind-sino-russian-exercises-south-china-sea.
- Latuhina, Kira. 2016. To maintain the balance. Rossiiskaya gazeta, 13 May. http://rg.ru/2016/05/13/putin-rossiia-sdelaet-vse-dlia-sohraneniia-strategicheskogo-balansa-v-mire.html (in Russian).
- Lokshin, Grigory 2015. The pivot to the East is postponed? Nezavisimaya gazeta, 19 November. http://www.ng.ru/world/2015-11-19/3_kartblansh.html (in Russian).
- Lukyanov, Fedor. 2010. The Kurils on the Asian background. Russia in Global Affairs, 9 November. http://www.globalaffairs.ru/redcol/Kurily-na-fone-Azii-15033 (in Russian).
- Lukyanov, Fedor. 2015. Unpredictable China. Forbes.ru, 14 October. http://www.forbes.ru/mneniya/mir/302841-nepredskazuemyi-kitai (in Russian).
- Perlez, Jane, and Neil MacFarquhar. 2015. Friendship between Putin and Xi becomes strained as economies falter. CNBC Asia–Pacific News, 3 September. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/03/friendship-between-putin-and-xi-becomes-strained-as-economies-falter.html.
- Rogov, Sergei et al. 2013. The Obama Doctrine: The Lord of Two Rings. Analysis, Russian International Affairs Council, May. http://russiancouncil.ru/inner/?id_4=1783#top-content (in Russian).
- Russia–Japan island dispute looms on the horizon. 2000. Stratfor Analysis, 21 April. https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/russia-japan-island-dispute-looms-horizon.
- Safronov, Ivan 2015. China is the first foreign importer of Su-35. Kommersant-FM, 19 November. http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2857441 (in Russian).
- Scalapino, Robert A. 1986. Asia in a global context: Strategic issues for the Soviet Union. In Soviet Far East Military Buildup, ed. Richard H. Solomon, and Masataka Kosaka. Dover: Auburn House.Google Scholar
- Sergeev, Mikhail 2015. China doesn’t need the Sila Sibiri any more. Nezavisimaya gazeta, 6 October. http://www.ng.ru/economics/2015-10-06/1_silasibiri.html (in Russian).
- Shcherbakov, Dmirti 2008. The Amur lands have changed hands, Kommersant, 15 October. http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/1040943 (in Russian).
- Stapran, Natalya. 2016. TTP’s First-Mover Advantage. Analysis, Russian International Affairs Council, 1 March. http://russiancouncil.ru/en/inner/?id_4=7315#top-content.
- The withdrawal that wasn’t. 2016. The Economist, May 14. http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21698688-syria-still-provides-useful-stage-russian-strategyand-propaganda-withdrawal-wasnt.
- Torkunov, Anatoly. 2000. Zagadochnaya Voina: Koreiskii Konflikt 1950–1953 (Mysterious war: Korean conflict 1950–1953). Moscow: ROSSPEN.Google Scholar
- Western countries: Attitude, sanctions, cooperation. 2015. Levada.ru, 2 December. http://www.levada.ru/2015/12/02/strany-zapada-vospriyatie-sanktsii-gotovnost-k-sotrudnichestvu/.
- Xiao, Ren. 2016. Idea Change Matters: China’s Practices and the East Asian Peace. Asian Perspective (forthcoming).Google Scholar
- Xiaoming, Zhang. 2002. China, the Soviet Union and the Korean War. Journal of Conflict Studies, vol. 22, no. 1, Spring. https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/jcs/article/view/368/582.
- Ying, Fu. 2016. How Chia sees Russia: Beijing and Moscow are close, but not allies. Foreign Affairs, January/February. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/china/2015-12-14/how-china-sees-russia.
- Zuenko, Ivan. 2016. “Rust belt” on the border with Russia in the public eye. Analysis, 4 May, Russian International Affairs Council. http://russiancouncil.ru/en/inner/?id_4=7640#top-content.