A century of “intrinsic asthma”
- 4 Downloads
One hundred years ago Rackemann published the first description of Intrinsic Asthma. This was the beginning of a process of phenotyping the disease.
Materials and methods
The literature regarding asthma phenotypes of the last 100 years has been checked. Lately, there have been many new publications dealing with this specific asthma phenotype.
Today, the term asthma is looked at as an umbrella covering different phenotypes of the disease. According to a recent publication, Intrinsic Asthma is most often cited now as eosinophilic adult-onset asthma. New treatment strategies for this phenotypes have evolved in recent years.
KeywordsAsthma Allergy Intrinsic asthma Eosinophilic asthma Asthma phenotypes
Conflict of interest
T. Rothe gave advice and has given lectures for: AstraZeneca, GSK, TEVA, and Novartis Pharma Schweiz.
- 1.Rackemann FM. A clinical study of one hundred and fifty cases of bronchial asthma. Arch Intern Med. 2018;2:517–22.Google Scholar
- 2.Virchow C. Intrinsic Asthma: Symptome, Gesamt-IgE Spiegel, Pathophysiologie. Prax Pneumol. 1973;10:578–572.Google Scholar
- 6.Brusselle G, Maes T, Bracke K. Eosinophils in the spotlight: eosinophilic airway inflammation in nonallergic asthma. Nat Med. 2013;19(8):977. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm.3300. http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v19/n8/full/nm.3300.html.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.www.ginasthma.org. Accessed January 15. 2018
- 11.www.goldcopd.org. Accessed January 15. 2018
- 15.Watz H, Tetzlaff K, Wouters EF, Kirsten A, Magnussen H, Rodriguez-Roisin R, et al. Blood eosinophil count and exacerbations in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease after withdrawal of inhaled corticosteroids: a post-hoc analysis of the WISDOM trial. Lancet Respir Med. 2016;4:390–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar