HIV/AIDS and the African-American Community 2018: a Decade Call to Action
HIV/AIDS disproportionately affects African-Americans more than any other racial or ethnic group in the USA. Currently representing only 12% of the US population, African-Americans now comprise close to half of the total reported HIV/AIDS cases in the USA according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention since the initial reporting of HIV/AIDS. In this paper, we examined the prevalence and current direction of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the African-American community especially in comparison to our first call to action in 2008. The situation remains dire and broader attention is necessary from the public health and medical sectors who serve the majority of African-American populations and the community at-large to work towards closing this health disparity gap. This paper thus recommends an action plan for community leaders (i.e., the public health sector, policy makers, public health practitioners, and other stakeholders) to reduce the disparity.
KeywordsHIV/AIDS African-Americans STDs Socioeconomic status Epidemic
- 1.African American | Gay and Bisexual Men | HIV by Group | HIV/AIDS | CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/bmsm.html. Published February 15, 2018. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 2.January 31 CSH gov D last updated:, 2017. National HIV/AIDS Strategy: Updated to 2020. HIV.gov. https://www.hiv.gov/federal-response/national-hiv-aids-strategy/nhas-update. Published January 31, 2017. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 3.Karen Humes, Nicholas Jones, Roberto R. Ramirez. Overview of race and Hispanic origin: 2010. March 2011. https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 5.HIV Survelliance Report Volume 28. February 2018. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/library/reports/surveillance/cdc-hiv-surveillance-report-2016-vol-28.pdf. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 6.HIV Survelliance Report Volume 17. June 2007. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/statistics_2005_hiv_surveillance_report_vol_17.pdf. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 7.Women | Gender | HIV by Group | HIV/AIDS | CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/gender/women/index.html. Published November 22, 2017. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 9.Addressing the Needs of Black Women in HIV Prevention in the U.S. Infographic | AIDS Education and Training Centers National Coordinating Resource Center (AETC NCRC). https://aidsetc.org/resource/addressing-needs-black-women-hiv-prevention-us-infographic. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 10.Villarosa L. America’s Hidden H.I.V. Epidemic. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/magazine/americas-hidden-hiv-epidemic.html. Published June 6, 2017. Accessed February 22, 2018.
- 11.H Male. CDC factsheet: HIV among African Americans. February 2017. https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/factsheets/cdc-hiv-aa-508.pdf. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 12.Communities in crisis: is there a generalized HIV epidemic in impoverished urban areas of the United States? | National Prevention Information Network. https://npin.cdc.gov/publication/communities-crisis-there-generalized-hiv-epidemic-impoverished-urban-areas-united-states. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 13.Poverty | State of Working America. http://www.stateofworkingamerica.org/fact-sheets/poverty/. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 14.Flores A, López G, Radford J. Facts on U.S. Latinos, 2015. Pew Res Cent Hisp Trends Proj. September 2017. http://www.pewhispanic.org/2017/09/18/facts-on-u-s-latinos-trend-data/. Accessed April 10, 2018.
- 15.STDs in Men Who Have Sex with Men - 2016 STD Surveillance Report. https://www.cdc.gov/std/stats16/msm.htm. Published October 2, 2017. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 17.Factors Increasing HIV Risk | HIV Risk and Prevention Estimates | HIV Risk and Prevention | HIV/AIDS | CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/estimates/riskfactors.html. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 18.Hughes JP, Baeten JM, Lingappa JR, Magaret AS, Wald A, de Bruyn G, et al. Determinants of per-coital-act HIV-1 infectivity among African HIV-1-serodiscordant couples. J Infect Dis. 2012;205(3):358–65. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/jir747.
- 19.STD Facts - HIV/AIDS & STDs. https://www.cdc.gov/std/hiv/stdfact-std-hiv.htm. Published October 4, 2017. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 21.Marshall BDL, Friedman SR, Monteiro JFG, Paczkowski M, Tempalski B, Pouget ER, et al. Prevention and treatment produced large decreases in HIV incidence in a model of people who inject drugs. Health Aff Proj Hope. 2014;33(3):401–9. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2013.0824.
- 23.Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Prisoners in 2016. https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6187. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 25.NAACP | Criminal justice fact sheet. NAACP http://www.naacp.org/criminal-justice-fact-sheet/. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 26.Despite Progress, Persistent disparities prolong HIV epidemic among African Americans news. AIDSinfo https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/news/1650/despite-progress--persistent-disparities-prolong-hiv-epidemic-among-african-americans. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 27.Expanded HIV Testing and African Americans | National Prevention Information Network. https://npin.cdc.gov/publication/expanded-hiv-testing-and-african-americans. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 31.Robinson R, Moodie-Mills AC. HIV/AIDS inequality: structural barriers to prevention, treatment, and Care in Communities of color. Cent Am Prog https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/lgbt/reports/2012/07/27/11834/hivaids-inequality-structural-barriers-to-prevention-treatment-and-care-in-communities-of-color/. Accessed April 4, 2018.
- 32.Discrimination and inequality are fueling America’s AIDS crisis. MSNBC. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/discrimination-and-inequality-are-fueling-americas-aids-crisis. Published August 10, 2014. Accessed April 4, 2018.
- 33.Nugent P. Racial identity. Psychology Dictionary https://psychologydictionary.org/racial-identity/. Accessed April 4, 2018.
- 34.Andrinopoulos K, Kerrigan D, Ellen JM. Understanding sex partner selection from the perspective of inner-city Black adolescents. Guttmacher Institute. https://www.guttmacher.org/journals/psrh/2006/understanding-sex-partner-selection-perspective-inner-city-black. Published September 6, 2006. Accessed April 4, 2018.
- 35.Gray G. HIV, AIDS and 90–90-90: what is it and why does it matter? The Conversation. http://theconversation.com/hiv-aids-and-90-90-90-what-is-it-and-why-does-it-matter-62136. Accessed April 9, 2018.
- 36.PrEP | HIV Basics | HIV/AIDS | CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep.html. Published March 23, 2018. Accessed April 10, 2018.
- 39.Evidence-based HIV/STD prevention intervention for Black men who have sex with men. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/su6301a5.htm. Accessed February 15, 2018.
- 41.HIV risk-reduction prevention interventions targeting African American adolescent women | SpringerLink. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40894-016-0036-x. Accessed February 15, 2018.