Health Insurance Challenges in the Post-Affordable Care Act (ACA) Era: a Qualitative Study of the Perspective of Low-Income People of Color in Metropolitan Detroit
- 93 Downloads
Low-income people of color are at risk of remaining uninsured due to a variety of factors. This study examined Affordable Care Act (ACA)-related and other health insurance enrollment experiences, observations, navigation needs, and experiences maintaining health insurance coverage among low-income communities of color in an economically disadvantaged community (Metropolitan Detroit). We conducted nine focus groups (n = 87) between May and June 2015. Participants were recruited through community-based organizations serving our key populations of interest. Using an inductive thematic analysis approach, codes and themes were generated. Findings from six themes demonstrated that although health insurance is perceived as important, confusion and frustration persist around health plan benefits and coverage, eligibility requirements and key provisions of the ACA, and enrollment. Individuals face difficulties justifying the cost of health insurance. More focused insurance outreach efforts are needed to achieve the ultimate goal of improving the health of low-income communities of color.
KeywordsHealth insurance Barriers Affordable Care Act Outreach
- 1.Chaudry A, Fortuny K, Pedroza J. Improving access of low-income immigrant families to health and human services: the role of community-based organizations. Urban Institute. 2014. http://www.urban.org/research/publication/improving-access-low-income-immigrant-families-health-and-human-services. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 2.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FastStats: health insurance coverage. 2015. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/health-insurance.htm. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 3.Enroll America. Enroll America. Michigan: State Snapshot; 2016 .https://www.enrollamerica.org/research-maps/maps/state-profiles/michigan/. Accessed 18 January 2017Google Scholar
- 4.Michigan Department of Community Health. Healthy Michigan Plan. 2016. http://www.michigan.gov/healthymiplan/0,5668,7-326-67957---,00.html. Accessed 18 January 2017.
- 7.Center for Healthcare Research & Transformation. Federally Qualified Health Centers. 2013. http://www.chrt.org/publication/federally-qualified-health-centers-overview/. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 10.Delgado G. Breaking barriers: improving health insurance enrollment and access to healthcare. Alliance for a Just Society. 2015. http://allianceforajustsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/BreakingBarriers_Natl_sm.pdf. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 13.Stewart DW, Shamdasani PN. Focus groups: theory and practice. Sage Publications; 1990.Google Scholar
- 14.Creswell JW. Research design: qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. Sage Publications; 2008.Google Scholar
- 17.Rae M, Damico A, Cox C, et al. The cost of the individual mandate penalty for the remaining uninsured. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. 2015. http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/the-cost-of-the-individual-mandate-penalty-for-the-remaining-uninsured/. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 18.Goodnough A. Many see IRS penalties as more affordable than insurance. The New York Times. 2016. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/us/many-see-irs-fines-as-more-affordable-than-insurance.html?_r=2. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 19.Kaiser Family Foundation. The requirement to buy coverage under the Affordable Care Act. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. 2015. http://kff.org/infographic/the-requirement-to-buy-coverage-under-the-affordable-care-act/. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 23.Pollitz K, Tolbert J, Ma R. Survey of health insurance marketplace assister programs. The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. 2014. http://kff.org/health-reform/report/survey-of-health-insurance-marketplace-assister-programs/. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 24.Enroll America. Detroit: uninsured population & enrollment assisters. 2014. https://www.enrollamerica.org/research-maps/maps/uninsured-population-enrollment-assisters/michigan/. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 25.Stern S. A framework on health insurance literacy for the outreach and enrollment community. 2015. https://www.enrollamerica.org/a-framework-on-health-insurance-literacy-for-the-outreach-and-enrollment-community/. Accessed 8 July 2016.
- 26.Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. From coverage to care: a roadmap to better care and a healthier you. 2014. https://marketplace.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/downloads/c2c-roadmap.pdf. Accessed 8 July 2016.